Crawford Golf Club, Douglas Lodge, Lanarkshire.
The club was founded in 1890.
I would like to thank Alfie and Harry Ward, doyens of Clydesdale golf, for their help in compiling information on defunct Lanarkshire clubs and courses.
Alfie sent me the following information on Crawford Golf Club
"On the theme of forgotten courses, there are a few worth special mention in the Clydesdale area, namely, Lanark, Crawford and Douglas. Lanark, while far from being forgotten, can boast to being the twelfth oldest golf club in the world dating back to 1851, forming not long after the gutta ball had been introduced. The course began with only four holes and it is said that they added new holes as the membership grew? An interesting factor about Lanark is that, especially for an inland course, they have managed to stay at the same location on Lanark Moor for the duration of their long and notable history.
For anyone travelling on the M74, you may be unaware that as you bypass the village of Crawford, south of Glasgow, you are actually driving straight through the middle of what once was, one of the most significant golf courses in Scotland. Pioneered by the Rev Christopher McKune, the tiny village of Crawford became a favourite hot spot for tourism in the south of Scotland. McKune had obviously latched on to the potential benefits of golf and tourism at a very early stage, and with the bonus of having a railway station at hand, he pursued a strategy of promoting the village through sport. It is known that he had laid out a small 9-hole course on his kirk ‘glebe’ prior to his greater ambition of seeing a course worthy of any across the land. A glebe was a small piece of land belonging to the church, it was reduced to 9-holes following WW2. The railway station was a couple of minutes from the course. Membership peaked at 120 in the 1920s, although this dropped to 55 following WW2. Local hotels were the PH Trust, West End and Murray Houseusually a few acres, which the minister could use to generate some extra income.
In 1888, just before the ‘boom’ in golf was about to explode, McKune had secured the services of none other than Tom Morris of St Andrews to lay out a substantial 18-hole course on the Mid Hill in Crawford. At this same time, the long established club at Lanark were playing upon only 14-holes! Morris is accredited as having established the 18-hole layout as being the best and most preferred number of holes for a golf course. By c1905, the club had added a 9-hole ladies course providing an almost unparalleled 27 golf holes for visitors and locals. To compliment the golf, visitors could play bowls, tennis, billiards, curling in the winter, while the river Clyde was there for fishing enthusiasts. Several hotels and B&B’s were established to cater for the influx of year round tourists - Alfie Ward."
The 18-hole course was 1,000ft above sea level, it was reduced to 9-holes following WW2. The railway station was a couple of minutes from the course. Membership peaked at 120 in the 1920s, although this dropped to 55 following WW2. Local hotels were the PH Trust, West End and Murray House. Sunday play was never allowed at the club. In 1914 entry fees were 7/6d and subs were 7/6d.
In June 1891 in a club match against Moffat Mr Dick set a course record of 79.
On Thursday 19th May 1892 the club held its May meeting. There was a good number of entrants in the pleasant weather conditions. Following were the prizes competed for. Scratch medal (presented by the secretary) was won by the Rev Mr Dick with a score of 83, second prize a mashie (presented by Dr Day) was tied between Mr John King and Mr William Shanks, with 84. First handicap prize, a silver mounted horn cup (presented by Mr J A S Miller) was won by Mr A R Anderson, 88-9-79. A monthly handicap medal (presented by the Rev Mr Dick) also went to Mr Anderson, second prize a mashie (presented by Dr Day) won by Mr Riach, 97-17-80, Mr L A Callender was third 95-14-81. Local prize, a silver claret jug (presented by Mr R R Stewart) was won by Mr C C Riach. The club held its AGM and reported that membership was now over 100.
The club held its May meeting on Thursday 18th 1893. Following are the prize winners; first scratch prize resulted in a tie between the Rev H L Dick and W M Shanks with a score of 82; first handicap prize taken by Mr Shanks; second handicap prize was a tie between John Dey, 109-25-84, and A R Anderson, 88-4-84.
Below is the result of a one sided match played at Crawford against Peebles Golf Club in July 1894.
|Crawford Golf Club||Peebles Golf Club|
|Rev H L Dick||1||Mr Masterton||0|
|W M Shanks||8||Mr Ferguson||0|
|Rev C P Ritchie||8||Mr Thorburn||0|
|Rev Watson||1||Mr Lyon||0|
|Dr Dey||8||Mr Gibson Carmichael||0|
|S Callender||8||Mr Ballantyne||0|
|Mr Wallace||0||Mr McQueen||0|
Competition results from Saturday 19th April 1902; Scratch prize (silver inkstand) - W M Shanks, 81; Usher Cup and charm - R P Hardie, 91-3-88; Mr Gilchrist, 107-16-91; W K Grant, 94-3-91; Mr Colthart, 98-7-91. The Reverend Mr McKeene was elected captain for the year.
We would like to thank Alison Houston for providing, and allowing us to use, the following images of Crawford Golf Club and the Crawford Hotel. Some of the photos are annotated July 1914, it's assumed that they were all taken at the same time. Alison informs us that the pictures were taken by the Cameron family from Edinburgh who were holidaying at Crawford in 1914.
Below is the result of a match played at Lanark on Saturday 4th July 1914.
|Lanark (Junior) Golf Club||Crawford Golf Club|
|Elliot Gray||1||W T Kelly||0|
|David King (half)||0||C A Pollock (half)||0|
|P Rorke||0||G D Deuchar||1|
|William Dickson||0||W M H Wilson||1|
|P McCafferty||0||A J G Barclay||1|
|James McLintock (half)||0||H Wylie Rennie (half)||0|
|H McDougall||0||A C Lewis||1|
|William Spence||1||W J Mitchell||0|
|J S Anderson||0||J K Philip||1|
|Thomas Stewart||1||W L McKerrow||0|
|Dr J R Adam||0||F Watson Rae||1|
|A Dawson||0||P Henderson||1|
|Hugh Brown||0||A B Pollock||1|
|Hugh McDougall||1||T Kelly jnr||0|
Following are results from the June meeting in 1915; Dey Shield (Bogey) – Harvie Kerr, 1up; D L Gilchrist, 3down; J Stirling, G Stewart, J H Donald and P Henderson, 4down; Ladies’ Singles – Miss B Ireland, 50-3-47, Miss M B B Mitchell, 53-6-47 and Miss H H Millar, 53-6-47, (tied); Mixed Foursomes – Miss B B Mitchell & A Mackenzie (winners); Miss Johnstone & D L Gilchrist (runners-up). Two guineas were collected as entry money, and handed over to the Red Cross Society. As usual afternoon tea was provided and served by Miss M Muir in the clubhouse. J C Johnston was recently appointed professional and green-keeper. The officials for the year; Captain, William James Mitchell B.A (Oxon), vice-captain, J K Philip; secretary, Philip Henderson, M.A; treasurer, George Haddow, Summit Schoolhouse.
The annual meeting was held in the clubhouse on Saturday May 26th 1917, the vice-captain, J K Philip, was in the chair due to the unavoidable absence of the captain (W J Michell). The report for 1916 showed a satisfactory year, the outstanding feature being the various competitions and other activities which raised £160 for the war effort and for local charities. Particular thanks were paid to the lady members and friends of the club who had been untiring in their fund raising activities. The following officials were elected; Captain, J K Philip; vice-captain, George Stewart; secretary, Philip Henderson; treasurer, George Haddow. Mr Mitchell and Mr E C Brown were elected to the vacancies on to the committee.
In 1938 the 40 year old professional at the club, John Manuel, left to take up the position of foreman at Caird Park. He had been at Crawford Golf Club as professional and head green-keeper for twelve years. He held the professional course record of 69. He started his career at Dunblane as a gardener and went on to help with the construction of the Dunblane golf course. He was married with two daughters.
|1906||James P Sym, 2 Hill Street, Edinburgh.|
|1914/17||P Henderson MA, Schoolhouse, Crawford.|
|1922||Stephen Robertson junior, 729 Great Western Rd, Glasgow. (There was also a local secretary listed he was Jas Gilbert, Clarion, Crawford)|
|1924/27||J Edmond, Egmont, Crawford.|
|1929||W F Gray, Egmont.|
|1930/4||W E Rowland, School House, Crawford.|
|1935/9||Jas Craig, School House.|
|1940/49||R Haugh, Schoolhouse, Crawford.|
|1902/14||Thomas Robb (g)|
|1922/3||William Nairn (p)|
|1924/39||J Manuel (p/g)|
|1940||W Thompson (g)|
|1947||W Graham (g)|
|1906||W M Shanks (am) 72|
|1922||A J MacLaren (am) 73 C Johnston (pro) 66|
|1924/27||J McReadie (am) 69 William Nairn (pro) 69|
|1928||G G Edmond and W Brown (am) 73|
|1930/49||H Kirkwood and W Brown (am) 69 J Manuel (pro) 69|
|1906||Gents 1/- a day, 2/6 a week, 5/- a month, ladies 6d, 1/6,2/6, 4/- respectively|
|1922||Gents 1/6 a day, 7/- a week, 11/6 a fortnight and 20/- a month. Ladies 1/-, 5/-, 8/-,13/6 respectively.|
|1927/8||1/6 a day, 7/6 a week, 13/6 a fortnight and 22/6 a month. Ladies 1/-, 5/6, 9/6 and 15/-.|
|1930s||2/6 a day, 10/- a week, 17/6 a fortnight and 30/- a month.|
|1940/49||2/- a day, 7/6 a week, 13/6 a fortnight and £1/2/6 a month.|
Crawford Golf Club had disappeared by1951