Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


East Kilbride Golf Club, South Lanarkshire.

East Kilbride Golf Club was founded in 1900. The first nine-hole course was located on the Show Park. The first competition was played in May 1902 and this was followed by monthly medals for ladies and gents.

The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Number of Members, 20; 32 ladies; secretary Alex W Harvie, Merryston, East Kilbride; captain, David Hill; amateur record, David Hill, 32; entrance fee, nil, and subs £1/1s; visitors' fees, 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 7/6 Month. "A fairly good inland course, improving every year."

In 1906 William Strang presented a trophy for competition.  

With increasing membership and lack of facilities, there was no clubhouse at the Show Park, the club decided to look for a more suitable location. 

Land became available at Blacklaw and the new nine-hole course and clubhouse was opened for play on May 7th 1910. During 1913 many improvements were made to the course which included the addition of bunkers and the re-configuration of greens. In May 1914 it was announced that Mr William Strang of Bosfield House had kindly consented to renew The Strang trophy which had been won outright the previous year by A Thomson. The competition for this trophy was first played in 1906. Whilst playing in the second round of the Strang Trophy in July 1914 James Barr holed in one at the 124 yard seventh hole.

The annual meeting was held the Lesser Public Hall in March 1914, Robert Craig, captain, in the chair. The following officers were elected; captain, Robert Craig; vice-captain, A W Harvie; secretary, W A Strang; treasurer, J T Thom; match secretary, J S Strachan. 

As with many clubs play was disrupted during WW1.

In May 1915 an article appeared in the Hamilton Advertiser stating that members were being enrolled for season 1915/6. The annual subscription was 25/- for men and 6/- for ladies and boys, there was no entry fee. David F Smith was the hon. secretary. On Saturday 17th July 1915 Alex Donaldson, the green-keeper, completed the 18 holes in a record score of 67.

The annual meeting was held in the Mid Public Hall on the 6th April 1916, Robert Craig, club captain, presided. The following office bearers were elected; captain, Alex W Harvie; vice-captain, David Thomson; treasurer, Jasper T Thom; secretary, David F Smith; committee – J Weir, J Strang, D C Cameron, A B Garroway, R Cross, A Brydon.  Some people questioned the propriety of the game at this time but it was thought that a quiet round of golf was beneficial for “health and well being”. So far the roll of honour for the club was 14 – thirteen gentlemen and one lady.

At a special general meeting held in the Public Hall on Friday 25th January 1917 Mr A W Harvie, presiding, said it was unanimously agreed that the game of golf be abandoned for the coming season and the course be advertised to let for cattle and sheep grazing.

It was announced at the annual meeting held on the 15th March 1918 that play would resume on Saturday 4th May. The course would continue to be used for grazing purposes. It was reported, sadly, that “As there are few gentlemen left, the committee hope as many as possible will become members of the club, and so encourage one of the few healthy recreations of “Our Village”.         

The club began its revival following the war and in 1923 further land became available and the course would, hopefully, be extended to eighteen- holes.

It took a few years before the eighteen-hole course would come into being. The following report is from the Motherwell Times dated 28th March 1927 “East Kilbride Golf Club have extended their course from 9 to 18 holes, a new clubhouse has also been built.”

In 1927 the professional was David Livey.  

During WW2 the course was again requisitioned for the war effort and the course was used for grazing. Golf continued although the course was reduced to nine-holes in 1942.

In the 1947 Golfer’s handbook the secretary was N J Brown, the professional and green-keeper was D Livey. The club had a membership of 650. Course records were; amateur, J Young, 71; professional, G Mitchell 71. It was listed as an eighteen-hole course with a SSS and par of 72. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round, 2/- a day, 2/6 at weekend.

In 1950 changes were made to the course to allow for the construction of a road, sign of things to come.

In the mid 1950s the secretary was J C Proudfoot, the professional R Morgan and the green-keeper D Peacock. The eighteen-hole course measured 5,700 yards with a SSS of 70. The amateur course record was now held by A Fraser 67.

In 1959/60 the secretary was J C Proudfoot, the professional J Taylor and the green-keeper D Peacock. The course now measured 5,820 yards with a SSS of 69. Amateur course record of 68 was jointly held by W N Good, J B Rowe and R W Scott.

In the mid 1960s the secretary and treasurer was C Berry, the professional J Taylor and the green-keeper D Peacock. The amateur course record was held by R W Scott with a score of 67. There was a membership of 600. Visitors, who had to be accompanied by a member, paid 5/- a round.   

The club moved to its current location at Nerston in 1967.  

 

East Kilbride Golf Club. Location of the former course at Blacklaw.

The above map shows the location of the course and clubhouse at Blacklaw. The clubhouse (bottom left) was situated on the former Strathaye Road. © Crown Copyright {1940}

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former Blacklaw course.