Blantyre Golf Club, South Lanarkshire.
The nine-hole course was laid out on land owned by Merry & Cunningham Ltd., Mining Company.
The following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Hamilton Advertiser on Saturday 2nd May 1914.
"The Blantyre Golf Club had their official opening on Saturday last, when an exhibition match was played by T Walker, professional to the Hamilton Club, and Mr R B Stewart, Kirkhill, which brought about 150 members and friends to witness the game. The professional was in specially good form, and his drives were watched with the keenest interest, although at times he was exceedingly unlucky with some of his tee shots. It was readily seen that Mr Stewart was an unequal opponent, and the professional ran out an easy winner by 5&4, the scores being Walker 69, and Stewart, 77. After the game the members were refreshed with a cup of tea and cakes, purveyed by Mr McLair and which was greatly enjoyed. Thereafter the members engaged in various competitions, results as follows; Mixed foursome - first, Miss Isa H Tulloch and Peter F A Grant; second, Miss Jessie Orr and Robert Paton; third, Miss Mary Devenney and Robet S F Harris. Stroke Competition (gentlemen) - first, T Haldane; second, Jas Rennie; third, Jas Heggison. Clock Golf - ladies, Miss Weir and Miss Jackson (tie); gentlemen, A M M Muir. At the end of the exhibition match Mr David Harley thanked Walker and Stewart for coming to Blantyre, and he said the game had given satisfaction to the large company that had witnessed it. The club is in a prosperous condition, and from appearance it is quite apparent that a successful season is in front of them."
The secretary and treasurer was W McGruther, Commercial Bank, Blantyre. Subscriptions were, Gentlemen £1/1s and ladies 10s/6d
The first annual meeting was held in the Masonic Hall, Stonefield, in April 1914, Rev C Scrimgeour Turnbull, President, in the chair. There was an attendance of about 100. The folllowing officers were elected; Hon president, John Menzies; hon. vice-presidents, Miss J W Forrest, Woodhouse, Dr William Grant, J.P., Dr J C Wilson and Rev C S Scrimgeour Turnbull, M.A; president, Mr A W Hendry; vice-president, Thomas McCluskey; captain, D S Hardey; vice-captain, J M Thomson; secretary and treasurer, W McGruther; the following were appointed to the committee - Captain Brown, Charles McAra, William Brown, Charles W Easton, J Freeman and Miss G McCallum. Subscriptions were set as follows; Gentlemen £1/!s, ladies 10/6, juniors(under 18), 10/6; Family ticket £1/11s/6d. The following inter-club matches were arranged; Bellshill, Kirkhill, Larkhall and Motherwell.
Result of the July 1914 monthly medal; First class - John Barry (11), 73; John Sharp (7), 75; John Cunningham (11), 77; Second class - Clydesdale Medal - David Harper (24), 85; Forrest Spoon - Miss Grace D McCallum (24), 98; Miss E Thorburn (24), 106.
The presentation for the seasons prizes was held in the Masonic Hall on Wednesday 28th October 1914. A whist Drive was also held with proceeds going to the War Relief Fund. Mr John Menzies, president, presented the prizes to the following; Forrest Spoon (1914) - Miss Isa H Tuloch; President's Prize - Miss Meg Dunlop; Kirkton Challenge Medal - 1st Class (1913), David L Harley; Clydesdale Medal - 2nd class (1913), Peter F A Grant; President's Prize - first, Duncan Harper; second (tie), J B Taylor and Thomas Duncan; Captain's Prize - first, Thomas P Black; second, John Cunningham; Special War Relief Medals, given by the captain and John Roberts, Priory Bar, respectively - first class, William Chambers; second class, Thomas P Black.
The annual meeting was held in the Masonic Hall, Stonefield, in January 1915, Mr A Hendry, president, in the chair. It was reported that the club at this time was in a very satisfactory condition. The following officers were elected; president, Thomas McCluskey; vice-president, C McAra; captain, D L Harley; vice-captain, John Sharp; secretary and treasurer, William Mc Gruther; William Brown and James Heggison were appointed secretary and treasurer pro tem on account of Mr Mc Gruther being on active service. Honorary membership for the year was conferred on all members serving with H.M forces. The "Roll of Honour" which had been drawn up and printed was showing that 29 members were on active service. No formal opening of the course would take place this year, and the committee had decided to issue no fixture list for the season. The course, which had been greatly improved on the previous year, was now open for play.
A special general meeting was held in the Lesser Co-operative Hall on Thursday 24th January 1918, the captain, John Sharp, presided. Owing to the present circumstances there was only a small attendance of members. The chairman pointed out that it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep the club going, and that in the opinion of the committee the club was in the position of being wound up. It was decided that the club should be wound up voluntarily.
On Saturday 18th May 1918 it was announced that the club had gone into liquidation. All claims against the club were to be lodged within seven days from this date with the secretary, William Brown, 176 Glasgow Road, Blantyre.
The Google Map below pinpoints the area around Springwell Crescent, location of the former clubhouse and course.