Knowenoble Golf Club, Cleland, North Lanarkshire.
First appeared in the early 1920s.
In 1923 the secretary was G Allen, 76 Church Street, Newarthill. A 9 hole course. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day and 5/- a week. The station was ½ mile away.
Result of a match played at Bellshill on Wednesday June 4th 1924.
|H Moffatt||0||R S Rodger||1|
|D Tait||0||W R Gibb||1|
|H Logan||0||W Loudon||1|
|J Martin||1||W McIlwraith||0|
|C Fordyce||1||J Easton||0|
|T Muir||0||D Stevenson||0|
|J Paterson||0||J Sommerville||1|
|J R Cunningham||1||A Mason||0|
|A Bell||1||W Angus||0|
|T Grant||1||P Brown||0|
|D Brown||0||J Henderson||1|
|A Broom||1||R F Baxter||0|
|A Cunningham||1||A M Hutton||0|
|W Wilson||1||W A Allan||0|
In 1924/5 the secretary was Jas Young, Violet Bank, Cleland.
The AGM in November 1924 was held at the Welfare Institute, Newharthill. Mr John S Adams retiring president was MC, the elected officers for the ensuing year were as follows, President - Mr Alex M Hutton; vice president Mr William A Allen; secretary Tom Gibb; treasurer Mr William Borland; captain Mr Baston?; vice captain Mr Jas Young; ladies captain Miss Agnes Stevenson.
The competition prize winners for the year were; Colville Shield, Mr R S Rodger; Paterson Trophy, Mr J Somerville; Murdostoun Trophy, Mr W Loudon; Smith Bowl, Mr Jas Anderson; Dr Logan’s Prize, Mr James Sprot; Captain’s Prize, Mr C Gibb; Mixxed Foursome, Miss Ford and Mr J Mcilroy.
Ladies section; Stroke Competition, Miss J Halliday; Mr Hoxton’s Prize, Miss Agnes Stevenson; Mrs Scobbie’s Prize, Miss A McDonald.
The entertainment continued and it was reported that “the company partook of a refreshing cup of tea and dainties, served by the ladies. The floor having been cleared, the members and a large number of friends tripped the light fantastic to the strains of Mr H Sturdy’s band”
In 1926 the secretary was Thomas Gibb, Bellevue, Cleland.
Result of the monthly medal played in July 1937; J Tait (3), 72; A N Gibb (2), 73; G Davidson (5), R Proudfoot (6) and W Tait (18), all 75.
The R.S.R semi-final played in August 1938; A W Gibb beat James Tait by 5&4.
In the club’s last year in 1940, the secretary was T H Baillie, 23 Whittagreen Avenue, Newarthill, Motherwell and the greenkeeper F McGeachy. Club membership was 120. Visitors’ fees had been reduced to 1/- a day and 2/6d a week.