Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Lesmahagow Golf Club, South Lanarkshire.

The club was Instituted in 1896; Course opened April 1897.  

The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Instituted 1896-7; Number of members, 30 - Ladies, 30; Hon. Secretary, J W Tait; Captain, J J Greenshields; Entrance fee, 2s/6d - Subs 10s, Ladies 5s. The course is situated at the foot of Muirsland Hill; it is not very long, but has plenty of hazards, which consist of dykes, a burn, heather, ditches, etc. A new station will open soon about a mile from the course. 

In 1906 the secretary was John W Tait, Sighthill Cottage, Lesmahagow. A 9-hole course. The amateur record holder was John W Tait with a score of 35 for nine-holes, 72 for eighteen. Visitors’ fees on introduction were 6d a day, 2/6d a week, and 5/- for the season to people outside 20 miles radius. Stations at Blackwood and Lesmahagow were both 1 ½ miles away. Local hotels were the Commercial, Royal and Abbey Green. 

In 1914 the Secretary was W Burnett. Membership was 40 gents and 30 ladies. Entrance fees for gents were 2/6d, no charge for ladies. Subs for gents were 10/- and ladies 5/-.

Course yardages; Hole One; 280 yards - Bogey 4; Two - 265 yards - Bogey 3; Three - 130 yards - Bogey 3; Four - 310 yards - Bogey 4; Five - 325 yards - Bogey 6; Six - 220 yards - Bogey 5; Seven - 280 yards - Bogey 4; Eight - 260 yards - Bogey 3; Nine - 190 yards - Bogey 5. Teiglum Burn formed part of the hazards. Thanks to Alfie Ward.

In 1923 the secretary was Miss M Fairservice, Wellwood, Lesmahagow, telephone number 14. Amateur course record holder was John W Tait with a score of 33.

From 1940 to the mid 1950s the secretary was J Gilmore, Friars Park, Lesmahagow, telephone 62. The greenkeeper was W Cowan. The 9-hole course had a SSS of 68 and a membership of 100. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 3/6d a week, Sunday play was not allowed.

By 1960 and up to its disappearance in the 1970s, there was a change of name and the club was now appearing as Muirsland. During the 1960s the secretary was H R Brown, 6 Staneacre Park, Hamilton and the greenkeeper A Lafferty. The amateur course record was held by W T K Pate (68). The 9 hole course had a SSS of 68 and length of 2,480yds. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 10/- a week. The fees were increased to 3/- a day, 12/6d a week and £1 a month by the late 1960s. Sunday play was now allowed after 2.30 pm.

Towards the end of its existence in 1970, the secretary was A M Lang and the SSS had been revised to 66. Visitors’ fees were 20p a day and 62 ½ p a week.

Lesmahagow Golf Club, South Lanarkshire. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the Lesmahagow course in the 1920s.

Grid reference NS79480,40740, co-ordinates 279480,640740.