Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Shotts Golf Club, North Lanarkshire.

Founded at a meeting instigated by Reverend R W Rutherford and other golf enthusiasts in December 1895. Until 1904 the course was situated on farmland. A 9-hole course was then laid out south of the railway, the pavilion was a short walk from Shotts station.

The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; secretary, J Hutton, Balcarres, Shotts; captain, J Sommerville J.P; amateur record, Rev R W Rutherford; nine-holes; entrance fee nil and subs 10/s; The holes are short,but tricky, necessitating careful, accurate play. 

Tha annual meeting was held in January 1914 when the following officers were elected; President, James Sommerville J.P; captain, James Sneddon; secretary, D C Scoullar, Benhar Road; treasurer, Henry Wilson, The Bank, Shotts; committee - John Brown, Alfred Dye, William Chalmers, James Kirkwood, Rev R W Rutherford, A B M Smith, W G Turnbull and John Wilson.

Result of the Scratch and President’s competitions played in June 1920; A Chapple (President’s), 89-12-77; J R Torrance, 88-10-78; T W Stanners, 93-14-79; A Brownlie (Scratch), 80; R Scott, 89-9-80; J Glasgow, 91-10-81; R Gibson, 99-18-81; D C Scoular, 87-4-83; J Chapple, 95-12-83. 

The club moved to the present location at Blairhead in 1922.

A third round match in the Sommerville Trophy was played in August 1931; James Fleming beat W Dobbie 3&2.

Result of the May medal 1939; First class – H Boyd (8) 75; Second class – W McLean (12) 73; Spring Handicap play-off, H Boyd (8) 71; J L Torrance (4) 73.

Shotts Golf Club, North Lanarkshire. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the second Shotts course.

Grid reference NS87150,59590, co-ordinates 287150,659590.