Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Kilmacolm Hydro Hill Golf Club, Renfrewshire.

The golf club was formed in 1928.

The Hydro opened in 1880 with all the usual health and leisure facilities which much later included a golf course, although there was no organised club until 1927/8.

The Hydro had a nine-hole golf course laid out by David Adams of Glasgow. It was hoped to extend the course to the full eighteen but this never materialised. 

 

Kilmacolm Hydro Hill Golf Club, Renfrewsire. View of the former course.

The Kilmacolm Hydro Golf Course.

 

The nine holes names and yardages; Hole One - The Pad – 331 yards; Two – Duff – 220 yards; Three – Saucer - 396 yards; Four – Dip - 147 yards; Five – The Well – 224 yards; Six – The Dam – 176 yards; Seven – Glengraig – 237 yards; Eight – Misty Law – 210 yards; Nine – Home – 330 yards; total yardage 2,271.

The course was declared open by the local M.P for West Renfrewshire, Lt. Col. A D Mcinnes Shaw. The opening shot was hit by Mrs Duff, wife of the chairman of directors, T L Duff. This was followed by the obligatory exhibition match wich included; David Adams, David Livey (professional East Kilbride), J Osborne Martin (club captain) and J D Hollis (local member).

During the war the Hydro was used as a Royal Navy hospital.

There was an entry in the Golfer’s Handbook in 1947 when it was listed as the Kilmacolm Hydro Hill Golf Club, telephone no. 72. It had a membership of 200. The secretary was J D Lang, 1 Glencairn Place, Kilmacolm. The green-keeper was H Galbraith. Visitors’ fees were 1s/6d a day. Sunday play was not allowed.

We were contacted in 2004 by a local who remembered the course and thought it closed at the time of WW2 but it probably continued for a short time following the war. 

 

Kilmacolm Hydro Hill Golf Club, Renfrewsire. View of the former Hydropathic building.

A postcard showing the former Kilmacolm Hydropathic.

 

The Hydro was purchased by the Stakis Group in 1963 the hotel closed in 1968. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for housing development. 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former course.