Denny Golf Club, Stirlingshire.
The course opened on Saturday 19th September 1896. Amongst those present at the opening were; William Bulloch, chairman; Provost Hunter, ex Provost Shanks; Rev A Oram McGregor; Rev D C Mackellar; Mr Hendry, solicitor, secretary; Mr J S Davidson, captain, Bank of Scotland; Mr & Mrs David Shanks, Carronvale; Mr George Johnston, Randolphill;Mr A M Luke, Headswood; Dr Joss, Dr Lumsden, Mr John Laing, Longhill.
Mr Bulloch performed the opening ceremony and said that Denny had been attempting to form a club for many years. Having declared the course open Mr Bulloch hit the opening drive. The course was located in the south western fields of the farm of Mr A Gentles of Woodyett and was regarded by experts as “being excellent in every respect” It was hoped to gain further land to the east to extend the course. Over 40 members had already joined and the prosperity of the club looked assured.
Result of the April 1897 monthly medal presented by the captain, Mr Davidson; Andrew Pryde, 106-40-66; George Brown, 119-40-79; A M Luke, 95-9-86; James Luke, 95-9-86; Alex Allan, 101-15-86; John F Forbes, 116-25-91; David Shanks, 93 scratch; Alex Hendry, 135-40-95; Rev D C Mackellar, 139-40-99.
At the AGM in October 1897 the following were elected; Alex M Luke, president; David Shanks, captain; Alex Hendry, secretary; committee as follows, Wm Bulloch, James Luke, J S Davidson, Dr Lumsden.
The club either kept a low profile in the early part of the century or had a short early life as the next record found was in 1925, when club membership was about 200.This number had halved by closure.
Playing in the Championship competition in August 1925 Mr J McLaren did the ninth hole twice in two.
William Campbell won a stroke competition played in November 1925, the runner-up was J Reid.
In June 1929 the Club Championship was to be played for by Tom Scott (late of Falkirk FC) and J F McQueen.
In July 1929 Miss Janet Dunn won the ladies’ championship for the third year running, her opponent in the final was Miss Kate Sawers.
The prize presentation was held in the Masonic Hall in November 1929; Club Championship – Glowrorum Cup – presented by Hugh C Wright – winner John Scott; runner-up, Thomas Scott; Ladies’ Championship – West Borland Cup- presented by Hugh C Wright – winner Miss Janet Dunn; runner-up, Miss Kate Sawers; Monthly Medal Cup – presented by William Chapman – winner, Albert Marshall; Best Aggregates – winner, Joseph Reid; runner-up, James Nisbet; Ladies’ Autumn Tournament – presented by Mrs James E Shanks – winner, Mrs James Mercer; runner-up, Miss Janet Dunn; Gent’s Autumn Tournament – Cup presented by Provost Shanks – winner, William McKeith; runner-up, John Wilson; Mixed Foursomes winners, William McKeith & Miss M McLaren; runners-up, Archibald Buchanan & Miss Mary Anderson.
The AGM was held in the clubhouse on Monday 23rd February 1932, Provost James K Shanks, club captain, presided over a small attendance. In his report Mr W A Nisbet, secretary, said that membership was 130 against 142 the previous year. The satisfactory financial statement was given by the treasurer, Mr J F Melvin. The following officers were elected; Captain, Provost Shanks; vice captains, James Rankine and John McLaren; secretary, W A Nisbet, 6 Anderson Drive, Denny; treasurer, J F Melvin, 11 Anderson Drive, Denny; committee – D Robertson, A Lochhead, G Finlay, R L Kelly, J Nisbet, J Sawers, Mrs J Mercer and J H Dunn, ladies’ captain.
In May 1932 the club held a Cake, Candy and Jumble Sale to raise money for a new mower and for improvements to the clubhouse and course. The sale realised about £30 which was considered satisfactory.
In October 1939 the committee scuppered rumours that because of the current difficult situation the club was to close for an indefinite period. It was confirmed that the club was to carry on even though the financial situation was showing a deficit on the year a satisfactory balance remained.
Sunday play was not allowed in the 1920s but it was permitted from the late 1930s when it cost 2/6d to play on the Sabbath. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day rising to 2/- by 1940. During 1940/50s it was known as the Denny Golf Club, Glowrorum Golf Course. At this time the 9-hole moorland course had a total measurement (18 holes) of 4,769yds with a SSS of 72. The clubhouse, which was unlicensed and without catering facilities, was half a mile from the town centre; Alexander’s buses from Stirling and Glasgow supplied a service to the golf course gate. The station at Denny was ½ mile away. Local hotels were the Railway and the Royal Oak.
|1896/7||J Anderson (p)|
|1925||W Nisbet, 58 Anderson Street, Denny.||C Moffat (g)|
|1940/50s||W Nisbet, 6 Anderson Drive, Denny.||D Turpie (g)|
|1955on||D A Sinclair, 8 Anderson Drive, Denny.|
|Course record (amateur)|
|1925||J McQueen 36|
|1926||T Scott 35|
|1940/50s||J D Hamilton 72|
|1955on||J W Watt 70|
Denny Golf Club had disappeared by 1960.