Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Doune Golf Club, Stirlingshire.

The club was founded in 1903.

Originally a 6- hole course, it was extended to 9-holes prior to WW1. It was sometimes referred to as Doune Castle Golf Club.

By the 1940s the course measured 2,700yds and had a par of 35. The inland course had six holes on the flat with the other three on hilly ground. The course and clubhouse, which had no license or catering, was a ¼ mile from the town centre; Alexander’s ran buses to the course entrance. The station at Doune 5 was minutes away. Local hotels were the Woodside and Gibsons Temperance.

On Wednesday 13th September 1905 Mr J W McAnish and Miss Ashton played Mr Ian Mackay and Miss Maggie McLachlan in the final tie for the two pictures presented to the club by Mr Russell MacNee, artist. The winners were Mr Mackay and Miss McLachlan. (Russell MacNee is now a collected artist)

A meeting was held in October 1905 when the following office bearers were elected; President, Colonel Campbell of Inverardoch; vice-president, Rev G S Mackay; captain, Rev J C Peat; secretary, P C Merrie; treasurer, John Main; committee – Messrs. Macnee, Gray, Crockett, Stewart, James McAnish, John Cameron and D Ferguson. The following were appointed to a committee to supervise the erection of a pavilion at a cost £60; Rev G S Mackay, Mr McNee, Mr Merrie, Mr Main and Mr Gray.  

In 1906 Visitors fees were 6d a day, 2/- a week and 5/- a month.

In May 1911 Sir A Kay Muir presented the club with a cheque for £10 to buy a challenge cup. The management decided to play for the trophy under handicap rules.

A competition for prizes presented by the captain Dr Stark Christie, were played for in June 1911. The result was a tie between Miss Ashton & P C Merrie and Miss M W MacLachlan & James Gorrie, both couples finishing on 1down.

In June 1911 Doune suffered a heavy defeat in a club match at Bridge of Allan, result below.

Bridge of Allan   Doune  
R J Gerrard 1 J Petty 0
A M Wylie jnr 1 W McLauchlan 0
E Irvine 1 A M McAinsh 0
H Mellis 1 J Ashworth 0
R Whyte 1 P C Merrie 0
L McIntyre 1 G S McKenzie 0
D Fyfe 1 A K Buchanan 0
A R Jenkins 1 W McAinsh 0
A Ramage 1 J Gorrie 0
P Webster 1 R Winter 0
A Mann 1 J M Cameron 0
W Ormiston 1 W A McKean 0
J A Kelly 1 Rev Mr Griffiths 0
  13   0

Just prior to WW1 the club had a membership of 75. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were 10/6d and ladies 7/6d. Family tickets cost £1/5/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/- a week, 5/- a fortnight and 7/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed.

In 1924 membership was 100. Visitors’ fees had increased to 1/6d a day, 5/- a week, 7/6d a fortnight, 15/- a month.

In the late 1920s and early 1930s there was a membership of 120. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, 6/- a week, 10/6d a fortnight and 17/6d a month.

  Secretary Professional/greenkeeper
1903/24 P C Merrie, The School House, Doune.  
1905/07   J McAnish (p)
1907/10   J Kidd (p)
1910/14   J Corrie (p)
1923   T Callahan (g)
1924 Geo F F Smith, Union Bank House, Doune. Jas Anderson (g)
1920s/30s J Dykes, Union Bank House, Doune.  
1935 J M Campbell, Northlea, Doune. A Ferguson (g)
1940/47 J Gardner Smart, West Manse, Doune. J Mills (g)

 

  Course records
1906 Reverend J Chalmers Peat (am) with a score of 20 (Six hole course)
1924 A H Merrie (am)  35
1935 Ian R Russell (am) 72 J Black (pro) 68

 

Doune Golf Club had disappeared by 1951.