Lumphanan Golf Club, Aberdeenshire.
First appeared in 1924 when the secretary was J Clark, Craig Cottage, Lumphanan. A 9 hole course with a membership of 80. Visitors’ fees were 10/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. The Station at Lumphanan was 100 yards away. Local hotel was the Lumphanan.
Below is the opening competition of the season played in May 1928 between teams selected by the secretary and captain.
|R D Donald||0||Geo Christie||1|
|Jas Copland||1||Geo Merchant||0|
|G M Merchant||1||Alex Beveredge||0|
|H Calder||1||J Marr||0|
|Charles Marr||1||R McGregor||0|
In August 1931 Lumphanan visited Aboyne and were on the wrong end of a beating, result below.
|Jas Tawse||1||F A Honeyman||0|
|S Tawse||1||H Calder||0|
|A Simpson||1||C Littlejohn||0|
|A Littlejohn||1||G Merchant||0|
|J Copland||1||M McCaskill||0|
|G Williams||1||G Christie||0|
|A Gordon||1||J M Irvine||0|
|H Paterson||1||A Thomson||0|
|M Bruce||1||J Mudie||0|
|G Marnoch||1||A Milne||0|
In 1940 and 1947 the secretary was J M Irvine, Bank House, Lumpanhan, telephone number 23, and the greenkeeper was G Buchan. Membership was 30. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/- a week, 5/- a fortnight and 7/6d for two months. Sunday play was permitted.
During the 1950s the secretary was D Asher, Bank House, Lumphanan. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a round and 5/- a week.
In 1964 the secretary was W W Duncan, Bank House, Lumpanhan, telephone number 233. The 9 hole course had a membership of just 15. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a round and 7/6d a week. Local hotel was the MacBeth Arms.
Lumphanan Golf Club fell into decline and had disappeared by 1966. Twenty years elapsed before moves were made to re-open the club; this finally happened in 1994.