Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Portsoy Golf Club, Banff, Aberdeenshire.

It seems that there were two early clubs and courses at Portsoy. The first was at Arnbath which opened in 1896 and the other at Glassaugh in 1902.

Just prior to WW1 there is mention of a golf course at Sutherland Park.

Extract from an article that appeared in the Aberdeen Press & Journal July 23rd 1896:-

“Opening of Portsoy Golf Club – Portsoy was en fete yesterday on the occasion of the opening of the new golf course on the Muir of Arnbath. This golf course has been provided through the exertions of the Improvements Committee, presided over by Provost Grant. The course which has nine-holes has been laid out by a very well-known professional. Being situated on high ground, and not far from the sea, the air is bracing, and a magnificent view of the Moray Firth, with the Caithness Hills in the distance, is obtainable.

The opening ceremony took place in the afternoon with a procession from the town, to the strains of the local Brass Band, to the Hill of Arnbath, where a number of people had already gathered. On arriving at the golf course the opening ceremony was performed by Mrs Gibson (wife of the Rev. Gibson, secretary of the club) who drove off the first ball. A number of golfers from Portsoy took part in a competition for a gold medal, result; Mr Clark, 58; Mr McLean, 66; Provost Grant, 74. It was estimated that no fewer than 700 persons were present during the afternoon.”   

It was reported in the Aberdeen Journal on Wednesday 21st May 1902 that; "Golf may be engaged in but a short distance from Portsoy, at Glassaugh, where there is the nicest little six-hole course it was ever any one's good fortune to play uopn." 

In the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook the secretary at the Portsoy club was William MacLean, Seaview House, Portsoy. It went on to say that "The club is affiliated to the Cullen Golf Club, and will play on the latter's course when ready." So it seems that the club had deserted their earlier course at Glassaugh.

Theres is also a later Portsoy club, listed as being founded in 1911. This club had a 9-hole course, with a membership of 60.

It was reported in May 1913 that a match was played on the Sutherland Park golf course between members of the “Banffshire Journal” Golf Club and the Portsoy Golf Club. Twelve couples competed. The result was a win for Portsoy by 9 matches to 3.

A prize presentation took place in the Sutherland Park Pavilion in October 1913 for trophy winners from the past season. The ceremony was performed by Provost Sutherland. Following are the prize winners; Ladies’ prize – Miss Jessie Watt (gold brooch); boy’s prize – Alexander McIntyre (watch, presented by Provost Sutherland); mixed doubles – Miss Paterson and George Ewing (golf shoes); Mr W Coull (medal); stroke competition – W Peterkin (bag).

Portsoy did not appear after WW1.

The Google Map below pinpoints the area around Glassaugh, location of the 1902 course.