Ballingry Golf Club, Lochore, Fife.
First appeared in the early 1900s.
Below is the result of a match played on the Berryhills, Auchterderran, course in June 1909.
|J Smith||1||J Morris||0|
|J Adamson||1||R Steel||0|
|J Kelloch||1||J Duncan||0|
|William Herd||1||C Barclay||0|
|G Bowman (half)||0||W Davidson (half)||0|
|C Walker||1||M McDermott||0|
|D Black||1||W Strang||0|
|A Duncan||1||F Wylie||0|
|J Penman||0||D Moffat||1|
|R Garrie||1||D King||0|
|J Black||0||J Bauld||1|
|R Keddie||1||J Melville||0|
It was reported in September 1911 that Ballingry had been successful in securing a new site for their course. It was to the west of Croshill, near the old course. The new course had a much better surface, laid out on old pasture land with natural hazards and bunkers. Mr Binnie, Kinghorn, was to lay out the new course.
Below is the result of a match played at Ballingry against Cowdenbeath in May 1920.
|H Coulter||2||W Gilbert||0|
|J Morris||2||J Galloway||0|
|J Ferguson||2||A D Bald||0|
|W Andrew||0||G Whytehead||2|
|J C Bauld||0||A McPherson||2|
|A Steel||2||J Gilbert||0|
|R Morris||0||H Wilson||2|
|J Ross||2||J Ritchie||0|
|R Steel||0||R Holman||2|
|W Bauld||0||T M Finlay||2|
|W C Davidson||0||R Ferguson||2|
|A Hutt||2||D Moffat||0|
|R Thomson||2||D Miller||0|
|T Amos||2||J Wallace||0|
|C Barclay||0||William Fortune||2|
|J Bauld||1||G Scrimgeour||1|
|D Anderson||2||C Chapman||0|
|T Hall||2||J A Whyte||0|
In March 1930 a “Lochore Golfers sale of work” was held in the Lochore Institute, £25 was raised at the jumble sale held by the Ballingray Golf Club. The event was organised by Miss Mary McLeod with the assistance of the energetic golf club committee.
The annual meeting of the Ballingry Golf Club was held at the Lochore Institute in April 1938. The following officers were appointed; Hon. presidents, G Hutchison and W Black; president, C Barclay; vice-presidents, W Hunter and M Duncan; captain, J Watson; vice-captain, J Steele; secretary, J Jackson, Ballingry; treasurer, Miss L McLeod; ladies’ convenor, Mrs Marshall, 3 Garry Park; committee – J G Feguson, M Duncan, William Hood and H Muir.
Result of a mixed foursome competition played in August 1938 was won by Miss G Strachan and Mr B Greenlees, Mrs Watson and Mr J Old. The prizes were donated by Mr George Hutchison.
There was a ladies’ section in May 1939, the committee (conveners) were; Mrs Marsahll, Miss Kinnear, Miss Johnstone, Mrs Watson, Miss Taylor, Miss Kirk; Handicap committee – Miss Johnstone, captain; Miss Pryde, Miss Kirk and Miss Scotland. The winner of the May monthly medal (at Ballingray) was Miss C Kinnear (29), 63.
The following Ballingry members played in a competition at Milnathort in May 1940; James Ferguson (7), James Jackson (11), Robert Watson (11) and John Steele (7) who finished with a net 69 thus winning division one of the competition.
The Cowdenbeath golf team the retained the Thomson Trophy which was played on Saturday 8th June on the Kelty & Blairadam (now defunct) course, result; Cowdenbeath (C Gilbert 76, D Clark 79, J Benson 79, T Terriss 82) total 316; Kelty (R Dalrymple 79, A Dickson 79, W Mitchell 81, N Martin 81) total 320. This was the eighth time Cowdenbeath had won the trophy. The Ballingry Golf Club score was 330.
The following is a section from a for sale advert which appeared in the Dundee Courier in January 1942 “Clubhouse (sectional) as new, measuring overall 30ft x 15ft; corrugated iron roof, three apartments, full length veranda attached, all in excellent condition. The building would make a suitable bungalow. Sealed offers by February 14th 1942, to James Jackson, secretary, Ballingry Golf Club, Ballingry, Glencraig.”
Below is the location of the course at Crosshill. The course was appearing prior to WW1 and in to the 1940s.
View Larger Map
The current Ballingry Golf Club was founded in 1981.