Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Garelochhead Golf Club, Argyll & Bute.

Founded in 1896, when the address was Garelochhead Golf Club, Dumbarton. A 9 hole hillside course with good scenery that was always in good condition and popular with holidaymakers. The clubhouse was not licensed but soft drinks were available from the professional. Sunday play was not allowed. The West Highland Railway station adjoined the course. Local hotel was the Woodlea.

The clubhouse was opened on Saturday the 3rd July 1897 by the Rev W E Ireland. There was a large turnout of members and friends, the course was in splendid condition and was busy all day.

In 1914 there was a membership of 90. Entry fee for gents was 5/-; there was no entry fee for ladies. Subs for gents 10/- and ladies 5/-. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 2/6d a week and 5/- a month.

In the early and mid 1920s the secretary was still Miss Campbell. Visitors fees were now, 1/- a round, 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month.

In 1928 membership was 50.

From 1929 to the mid 1930s membership was around 70.

From 1936 to the club’s last appearance in 1940, SSS for the 9 holes was 36.

  Secretary Professional/greenkeeper
1914/20s Miss Campbell, Craigellen, Garelochhead.  
1928 Mrs A H Wiltshire of Garelochhead.  
1929/30s Miss J S McKechnie, Heatherbank, Garelochhead.  
1936/40 Mrs A Douglas, Balquhidder, Garelochhead D McLean (p&g)

 

Garelochead Golf Club. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the Garelochhead Golf Course.

Grid reference NS24170,91455, co-ordinates 224170,691455.

 

 

Play was suspended due to WW2 and the club fell into decline following the war.