Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Fort Augustus Golf Club, Highland.

It was reported on 6th July 1904 that a sporting nine hole course with striking views of the mountain scenery had been laid out at Auchteraw. It was formally opened by Lord Lovat on Tuesday 5th July. Mr Alexander Mc Hardy, former Chief Constable of Inverness, was a keen golfer and he advised on the layout of the course.

The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; "Membership of 25; Secretary - John M Aitchison, Richmond House, Fort Augustus; Captain - Alexander McDonald; No Entrance Fee, Subs - 5s; Nine-holes; Amateur Record - J Birnie, 78; Visitors' fees, 1s a day, 2s/6d a week, 7s/6d a month. Recommended Hotel - The Douglas - Under the personal supervision of the proprietors Mr & Mrs R M Cameron. Ten minutes walk from the golf links. Comfortable house. Attractive situation with splendid view of Loch Ness. Nearest hotel to steamers, station and post office. Electric light. Tariff from 7s/6d a day, 50s per week.

 

Fort Augustus Golf Club, Highland. Postcard of Fort Augustus from the hotel.

Early postcard of Fort Augustus from the hotel. The building in the centre advertises "Golf Clubs" on the roof.

 

The land at Auchteraw was eventually turned over to forestry. The golf club moved to its present location at Market Hill in 1924 on a course designed by Harry Shapland Colt.

Fort Augustus Golf Club. Auchterawe course location.

Location of the former Auchterawe course. Grid reference NH36450, 08490, co-ordinates 236450,808490.