Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Dingwall Golf Club, Highland. 

The formation of a golf club in Dingwall was at an advanced stage when WW1 broke out and the plan was abandoned.

A local committee was formed in Dingwall in October 1921 in an attempt to form a golf club. 

In November 1921 the Dingwall golfers decided to form a limited liability company. A capital of about £500 was the target with £400 already being subscribed. A committee was set up to research available sites in the area at a reasonable cost.

The nine-hole Dingwall course with hazards of hedges and trees was opened to the public on Thursday 15th June 1922, the opening drive being hit by Mrs Davidson of Tulloch, who was introduced by Provost Crawford. The course was splendidly situated on Tulloch Hill, behind the houses in Craig Road. There was a magnificent view of Cromarty Firth. It was stated that “The greens have been formed with expert care.”

 

Dingwall Golf Club, Highland. The clubhouse and course.

The Dingwall clubhouse.

 

Below is the result of a ladies match played at Muir of Ord in June 1927.

Muir of Ord   Dingwall  
Mrs McIntosh 1 Mrs A J Ross 0
Miss McKay 0 Miss M Fraser 1
Miss Manson 1 Mrs Campbell 0
Mrs McCallum 0 Mrs Breadfoot 1
Mrs R McKay 1 Mrs Forsyth 0
Mrs Donald 0 Miss McKenzie 1
Miss E McKenzie 0 Miss B Cumming 1
Miss Rattray 0 Miss Maclennan 1
Mrs McDonald 1 Miss Sinclair 0
Mrs Campbell 0 Miss Mathieson 1
Miss A Maclean 1 Miss McKenzie 0
Miss B Logan 0 Miss J R Fraser 1
Miss McKenzie 0 Miss Jopp 1
  5   8

 

Below is the result of a match played at Dingwall in August 1932 against Muir of Ord Golf Club.

Dingwall   Muir of Ord  
A Leitch & K J MacLennan 1 R Watson & A MacDonald 0
D D Davidson & Major Dewar 1 R D Guthrie & C J Ross 0
Capt Finlayson & W D Ross 1 Guy Clelland & G Mavor 0
A J Ross & D Fraser 0 J MacKenzie & A Ross 1
A MacIver & L Fraser 1 T Emery & K MacKenzie 0
P Ross & A MacLennan 0 F Matheson & W Burns 1
D Grant & S Fraser 0 J Gray & J M Boe 1
J MacRae & W Campbell 0 J Paterson & W MacDonald1 1
  4   4

 

The Sir George Hastings Cup was played for annually between the Dingwall and Strathpeffer clubs. It was won In August 1932 by Strathpeffer.  Major Finlayson, chief constable of Ross-shire and captain of the Dingwall club, handed the trophy to D McLean, secretary at Strathpeffer.

In 1932/3 the secretary was A J Ross, Solicitor, Dingwall, telephone number 44. The green-keeper was George Bain. The nine-hole course was one mile from the station. Sunday play was not allowed.

Below is the result of a ladies match played at Dingwall in June 1933 against the ladies of Strathpeffer Golf Club.

Dingwall   Strathpeffer  
Miss R Matheson 1 Miss H Maclennan 0
Miss M Fraser 1 Miss H Ross 0
Mrs Campbell 1 Miss U Philip 0
Mrs Matheson 0 Miss A Cameron 1
Miss J Maclennan 1 Mrs Philip 0
Miss L Duff 0 Miss C Mackenzie 1
Miss H Duff (half) 0 Mrs D Maclean (half) 0
Miss K Matheson 1 Miss P Purdie 0
Miss B Allan 0 Miss M J Beaton 1
Miss R Harvey 0 Mrs Todd 1
  5   4

 

In May 1935 it was announced that due to the sharp decrease in membership numbers and consequent drop in finance the club would not be able to carry on. An appeal was made to the townspeople and the response was so enthusiastic that it would be possible to carry on, at least for another season. The necessary 100 members had been achieved with a resultant increase in membership fees of over £30. Mr Donald Maclean was appointed captain, with Mr Alex McDonald, secretary, and Mr D Matheson, match secretary.

Below is the result of a match played on the Dingwall course in August 1935. The Digwall Golf Club took on a team of officials from the Dingwall Town Council.  

Dingwall Golf Club   Dingwall Town Council  
D Maclean & D Matheson 1 T H Burns & A J Ross 0
W D Ross & R Knox (half) 0 Provost Macrae & W S Dewar (half) 0
G Morrison & A Maclennan 0 Dean of Guild Wilson & A Nicol 1
H Strachan & S Morton 1 Dr Johnstone & R T M Anderson 0
  2   1

 

By April 1936 membership had dropped to 105 and the club was finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet. Unless 50 additional members could be found the nine-hole course would have to close. Provost Macrae, a member at Dingwall, was trying his best to save the club. He said that the Town Council could not help with the finances, but the Amenities Committee of the Council may be able to give some assistance. The lady members of the club offered to organise a sale of work to assist with the finances. 

Dingwall Golf Club was wound up in May 1937 due to continuing losses. When the club opened in 1921 there were 280 members this number drastically reduced over the years and by 1937 there were only 80.

The Google Map below shows the area around Tulloch Hill, although the exact location has not yet been found. If anyone can help with the location of the course please “Contact Us”.

 


View United Kingdom in a larger map