Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society, Edinburgh.
Golf had been played over the Bruntsfield Links since the fifteenth century.
The Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society was established in 1761 and played on a six-hole course on the Links. This arrangement was fine in those long off days when there were few golfers. The popularity of the game increased in the mid 19th century and the Links became more crowded. The Socitey members gradually played more golf at Musselburgh and eventually moved there in 1876. The Society moved to the course at Barnton in 1898.
Scottish Golf History is a great site and has a wealth of information. More in depth history on the Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society can be found on the following link.
Originally built in 1456 Wright's Houses was a favourite meeting place for the pioneers of golf.
The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the early course at Bruntsfield Links.