Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ingliston Golf Club, Ingliston House, Ratho Station, Newbridge, Edinburgh.

First appeared in 1934.

The course was located adjacent to Edinburgh Airport on the west side of the city. 18 holes, beautifully laid out with shrubs and trees. The residential clubhouse, with accommodation available, was licensed and served lunches and plain or high teas. The bus service from St Andrew Square, Edinburgh passed the course.

The following article is from The ScotsmanMonday 9th April 1934.

“THE NEW INGLISTON GOLF COURSE – The first annual general meeting of the newly formed Ingliston Golf Club was held in the clubhouse on Saturday.

Mr W C P Brown, the proprietor, in welcoming about 150 members, said it augured well for the future of the club that so many had turned up to the meeting on such a stormy day. Mr Brown traced the short history of the purchase by him of Ingliston mansion house and estate and the conversion into a residential clubhouse and sporting 18-hole golf course. He pointed out that no trouble had been spared to provide the members with a tricky and interesting course, which would try their powers as golfers without overtaxing their endurance as walkers. The greens were now complete, and in a few weeks time the rest of the timber would be cleared and the fairways put in order, so that he expected play would be possible in early May. The formal opening date had been fixed for May 30th, when an exhibition match would be played by Jack McLean and Mark Seymour against Eric McRuvie and Peter Robinson.

The following officers were elected; Honorary President – Mr W C P Brown; hon. vice-president – John A Scott C.A; captain – Alexander Irvine; secretary and treasurer – J B Robertson, Ingliston House; committee – P D Blair, Edinburgh; C J Bonsor, Corstorphine; D B Campbell, Corstorphine; D Dobbie, Edinburgh; W F McGregor, Corstorphine; A McMillan, Broxburn; W H Strang, Bathgate; J F Waugh, Corstorphine; David Wilkie, Colinton.  

The following ladies were appointed to make preliminary arrangements for the ladies’ section; Misses Craik, McLennan, Harvey, Kay, Dobbie, Lindsay and Mrs Duncan."

 

Ingliston Golf Club, Newbridge, Edinburgh. Ingliston House and golf course.

Ingliston House and golf course.

 

In 1935 membership was limited to 650. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 2/6d at weekend.

Result of the monthly spoon competition played in March 1935; J T Bunch 78-5-73; J Smalie? 89-16-73; J M S Lang, 92-18-74; A G Burns, 91-17-74; P Campbell, 90-15-75; T M Proctor, 89-14-75; W Wilson, 95-18-77; G D Northrop, 96-18-78; W F MacGregor, 84-5-79.

Result of the monthly bogey for July 1936; N G Lindsay (8), 1up; W Wood (12), all square; A S Ritchie (9) and R Rutherford (14), 1down; T P Craik (10), O Ainley (13), W S Stafford (18), 2down; W Pirie (16) and L O Andrews (20), 4down. In the semi-final of the greensome competition H Leek & G Stevens beat A Learmouth and J Douglas and J T Bunch & W Lyon beat D Young & A S Ritchie. In the semi-final of the mixed foursomes Miss Dowedswell & C Northrop beat Mrs Craik & J Orr and Miss D M Brown & T A Lindsay beat Miss E Lyon & J Blake.

Result of a mixed foursome competition played in June 1938; G? Lock & Miss M Lennan (22), 70; G Liddle & Miss J Lyon (14) and J D Reid & Mrs Hemming (24) tied on 72; D S Dods & Miss Jackson (25), W Watson & Miss Grant (9) and F Moss & Miss Wilson (20), 73; R L Hunsworth & Mrs W Reid (16), 75.

The Club Championship played at the end of August 1938 was won by H Lock.

Result of the monthly spoon competition played in September 1938; W F MacGregor (2) and J B Crawford (15), 68; J Russell (13), 70; R Allen (24) and W Bell (12), 74.  

Result of the 1939 May monthly medal; W Warrington, (16) 68; H Morley, (9) 69; J T Hunch, (2) 70; J D Reid, (15) 71; R H Morton, (4) and J Innes (24) 72; C J Bonsor, (10), J Carter (14), W Storey, (15) and J B Crawford (10) 73.

In 1940 the 18 holes of 5,886yds had a SSS of 73 and par of 70.

In 1947 Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 3/6d Saturday and 5/- on Sunday.

In 1951 club membership was 440. Visitors’ fees were 3/6d a day, 5/- at weekend.

In 1960 the course measured 6,028yds with a revised SSS and Par of 70. Visitors’ fees were now 3/6d a round, 5/- a day, at weekend and Bank Holiday 5/- a round and 7/6d a day.

  Secretary Professional/greenkeeper
1935 W F MacGregor J Walker (p)
1940 Alex S Chapman D W Walker (p) S Oliver (g)
1947 G H Drummond, 8 Braid Gardens, Edinburgh . S Oliver (p&g)
1951 G B Prentice, 109 Conniston Drive, Edinburgh. J D Harkness (g)
1955/60 R L Himsworth, 81 Craigleith Hill Av, Edinburgh. D Lamont (g)

 

  Amateur course records
1940 D S Wemyss, J W R Carrigan and W F MacGregor 66.
1951 D L Anthony 68
1955 J M Brown and J Leckie 68
1960 R J Galloway with a score of 67

 

Ingliston Golf Club, Newbridge, Edinburgh. Location of the former golf course.

The 18 hole parkland course closed in the 1960s and is now the site of the Royal Highland Show Ground.

Grid reference NT14545,72725, co-ordinates 314545,672725.