Insurance & Banking Golf Club, Edinburgh.
Founded in 1895 by members of the financial sector, the Insurance & Banking Golf Club continued until WW1 and was the forerunner to the Duddingston club.
In 1897 Cooper & Taylor, architects, were employed to re-design the extended clubhouse. The extension can be made out by the darker lines on the plan, the cost was about £1,500.
In June 1898 The Insurance & Banking Club held its summer meeting for the Mc Neill Jubilee Cup. Result was a tie between C A Maitland and J Bremner with scores of 83. The handicap winner was M C Videon 84 – 6 – 78.
The above plan shows the revised course for the winter. Five new greens had been laid and some approaches had been altered. If the alterations proved popular they were to be made permanent.
The AGM was held on the 13th July 1904 in Dowell’s Rooms with Captain T Hector Smith, manager National Bank in the chair. The following office bearers were elected; Captain, Mr A Hewat, Edinburgh Life Assurance Company; vice-captain, Mr John Nicholson, manager, Clydesdale Bank, George Street; secretary Mr W J Munro, Life Association, 82 Princes Street; treasurer, Mr D G Thomson, British Linen Company Bank; auditor, Mr R S Wyllie, North British and Mercantile Insurance Company; committee, R M M Rodick, Century Insurance Company; M M Lees, Scottish Equitable Life Office; J C Hill, Constitution Street, Leith; C K Wharton Duff, North British and Mercantile Insurance Company.
The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Insurance and Banking Golf Club; Instituted 1895; Membership of 600; Hon. Secretary - William J Munro, 82 Princes Street, Edinburgh; Captain - Archibald Hewat; Greenkeeper - Geo Herkes; Entrance fees for Insurance & Banking Candidates £3/3s, others £5/5s. Subs, £1/10s; Eighteen-holes; Amateur course record - J B Matheson, 73 (in club competition), J C Rose, 68; Terms for visitors - Members may introduce two visitors a week - if introduced after 4pm 1s. Temporary members admitted under certain conditions, 1s a day, £1/1s per annum.