East of Fife Golf Club.
The East of Fife Golf Club was instituted in 1889. They played their golf over a modest six hole course adjoining Dreel Burn to the north of Pittenweem at Grangemuir. The club was dissolved after ten years.
The Anstruther & Pittenweem golfers found the site of this course to be in to remote a spot (access to Grangemuir was not easy at this time). In November 1890 the site at Billowness was identified and a meeting was called to discuss the formation of the current Anstruther Golf Club.
Result of the second annual competition for the lady members of the East of Fife Club for the gold charm presented by Captain Gilchrist played on the afternoon of the 26th August 1891on the Grangemuir course; Miss Annie Whyte, Pitenween, 74 scratch; Miss Tosh, 86-5-81; Miss Marnie, 113-12-101; Miss A Marnie, 124-12-112.
Despite discussions regarding the site at Billowness the East of Fife club was still playing golf on the Grangemuir course in 1893. The monthly silver medal was played on Saturday April 1st 1893 at Grangemuir and was won by William Deuchars of Pittenweem with a score of 82-5-77.
The annual competition for Captain Gilchrist’s Silver Trophy took place on Saturday 25th August 1894 at Grangemuir. The winner was John Urquhart, Grangemuir, with a scratch score of 85.