Kelty & Blairadam and Kelty Golf Club, Fife.
Originally called Kelty Golf Club, the course was north of what is now Cocklaw Street (A909). It changed its name to Kelty and Blairadam Golf Club (Maryburgh Golf Course) in 1927 when it moved to a 9 hole picturesque course situated in front of Blairadam House on the Blairadam Estate, a 15 minute walk from the station. The clubhouse had no licence and no catering facilities. Local hotel was the Oakfield.
In 1906 visitors’ fees were 6d a day, 2/6d a week and 5/- a month.
Result of a match played at Leslie on Saturday 26th May 1906.
|C O B Paton||0||W L Gilles||1|
|R Robertson||0||A Smith||1|
|W Barnes||0||J E Bett||1|
|E MacLeod||1||J H Jack||0|
|J Robertson||1||W Burnie||0|
|A Webster||1||C Mackersie||0|
|D Maiden||1||W Deas snr||0|
|W Black||1||W Deas jnr||0|
Result of a club match played at the Crook of Devon Club in May 1908.
|Crook of Devon||Kelty|
|W Younger||0||T Lindsay||0|
|A Reid||1||A Thomson||0|
|W Bett||0||I Smith||1|
|J Scott||0||J Fisher||0|
|R Robinson||1||A Fisher||0|
|J McDonald||0||W Fortune||1|
|W D Robinson||0||J Dickson||1|
|J Adamson||0||D Wallace||1|
|J Wallace||0||W Younger||1|
|T McCrea||0||W Izatt||1|
|R Hall||0||J B Calder||1|
Result of a West Fife League club match played at Kelty against Auchterderran in June 1909.
|Dr Carment||1||H White||1|
|A Thomson||0||J Smith||2|
|T Morrison||2||W Brown||0|
|R McEwan||2||W Forrester||0|
|D Smith||0||S Kirk||2|
|J Fisher||1||R Keedie||1|
|J Scott||2||J Adamson||0|
|J Forrester||2||W Herd||0|
|J Dickson||0||J Smith||2|
|J Morrison||2||T Cuthbert||0|
|W Younger||1||J Sutherland||1|
|A Fisher||2||C Walker||0|
In January 1913 the Club Championship was played at Kelty, there was a 36 hole qualifying competition, the leading eight players going forward to a match-play. The final was played between Samuel Scott and Alexander Thomson, Scott won the match 3&2.
In 1914 the club had a membership of 80. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were 6/-, ladies 3/6d, youths and boys 2/6d and 1/6d.
It was announced in April 1927 that the Kelty Club lost their course at the end of last year. They had, however, been successful in securing land at Blairadam Estate and the members have been busy working on the new nine hole course which was to be officially opened by Mrs Macfarlane, St Andrews, on Wednesday 20th April 1927.
In the mid and late 1930s membership was 200.
The Cowdenbeath golf team the retained the Thomson Trophy which was played on Saturday 8th June 1940 on the Kelty & Blairadam course, result; Cowdenbeath (C Gilbert 76, D Clark 79, J Benson 79, T Terriss 82) total 316; Kelty (R Dalrymple 79, A Dickson 79, W Mitchell 81, N Martin 81) total 320. This was the eighth time Cowdenbeath had won the trophy.
In the club’s last year in 1940, the 9 hole course of 5,040yds had a SSS of 70 and membership of 100. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 7/6d a fortnight. The railway station was now at Cowdenbeath which was 3 miles away; this suggests that the station mentioned earlier may have closed. Alexander’s buses ran a service to the course every 15 minutes from Black Road, Kelty.
|1906||John Scott, Oakfield, Kelty.|
|1923/29||John Scott||J Lowe (g)|
|1930||A L Downie, Main Street, Kelty.|
|1930s||G Miller, Cocklan Street, Kelty||R Hunter (g)|
|1940||T Cowan, Hazelbank, Kelty||A Philp (g)|
|1906||John Forrester (am) 75 William Binnie (pro) 77|
|1920s||Robert Hunter (am) 73|
|1940||Robert Hunter (am) 72|