Fauldhouse Golf Club, Falla Hill, West Lothian.

Founded 1894.

Originally a 6-hole course, Fauldhouse was extended to 9-holes prior to WW1. In 1940 the 9-hole course had a SSS of 70. Visitors' fees were just 6d a day, 1/- a week and 2/- a month in the early 1900s rising to 1/-, 3/- and 10/- respectively following WW1. In 1914 there was a membership of 85 (peaking at 120 in the mid 1930s). There was no entry fee. Subs were gents 10/- and ladies 3/-. Sunday play was not allowed. In the early 1900s there were stations at Fauldhouse (CR) and Crofthead (NBR) each a 5 minute walk. Local hotel was the Caledonian.

In July 1896 J Brownlie (8) won the lamp presented by Messrs. Rowat & Sons, beating J Henderson (8) in the final.

The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Secretary - W Maxwell; Captain - P McLeod; Entrance Fee nil and Subs 10s/6d; 6-holes; Amateur Record - Dr J Hunter, 27. The course has natural hazards affording good sport, about a mile in extent.  

 

Fauldhouse Golf Club, Falla Hill. Early postcard of the golf course.

Early postcard showing the golf course at Fauldhouse. (Authors Collection)

 

  Secretary
1902 William Wood, Daybridge, Fauldhouse.
1906 W H Maxwell, National Bank House, Fauldhouse.
1914 John D Milligan, Blackfaulds.
1920s/30s W W Tully, Flowerhill, Fauldhouse (in the later years Mossview, Fauldhouse).
1935 T Chalmers, Mossview.
1940/50s E Miller, MA

 

  Amateur course record Greenkeeper
1902 Alex Chalmers 27 (6 hole course)  
1906 Dr J Hunter 26 (6 hole course)  
1920s/30s   ? Howieson and A Greenhorn.
1940s/50s   A Greenhorn

 

Fauldhouse Golf Club, Falla Hill. Location of the early golf course.

Location of the Fauldhouse course. Grid reference NS92200,61095, co-ordinates 292200,661095.

 

 

Fauldhouse Golf Club, Linlithgowshire disappeared in the early 1950s. Greenburn is the current club and first appeared in 1953.