Hardale Golf Club, East Torphin, West Lothian.
The club was officially opened in July 1925 with Lord Anderson hitting the opening tee shot.
The secretary was S Henry Lessells, 10 Stafford Street, Edinburgh, telephone Central 3810. The course was primarily laid out by the club professional who was John Patrick (1925 - 1930) and the green-keeper George Patterson. It was an 18-hole course situated on East Torphin farm, some farm buildings being used as a clubhouse. Visitors’ fees on introduction were 6d a day, 1/- weekend and Bank Holiday 2/-, not introduced, 2/- a day, 2/6d Saturday and 3/6d on Sunday and Bank Holiday. The station at Harburn was a couple of minutes away.
In the early years the club and course progressed well and the club was financially sound, membership approached 150 and a clubhouse was built in 1927.
Unfortunately, by 1932 with Britain being in the grip of the depression the course deteriorated and the membership numbers dropped, the Hardale Golf Club decided it could no longer carry on.
In the club’s last year in 1932 the secretary was T Preston Craik, 1 Castle Avenue, Corstorphine, Edinburgh. Amateur course record holder was M Fraser, 73.
Below is the result of an inter-club match played at Juniper Green against Torphin Hill on Friday 1st July 1932.
|C McKinnon & G M Bell||0||G Bertram & E P Macnamara||1|
|H K Martin & J Millar||1||J S Smith & P Tweedle||0|
|A White & A H Paterson||0||H Smith & A White||1|
|A Gillon & G K Stalker||0||J Minty & A C Rankin||1|
|J B Innes & A M Paul||0||A McDonald & J F Thomson||0|
|B Burgess & H Gilmour jun||0||John Thomson & W G Campbell||1|
|H Wight jun & J Wardrop||0||G F Davidson & A Chisholm||1|
It became Harburn Golf Club in December 1932.