Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


West Calder & Addiewell Golf Club, West Lothian. 

The story of golf in the West Calder District began in 1885 when a group of local merchants began playing on ground at Burngrange Farm.

The West Calder & Addiewell Club was subsequently founded in 1895/6.  

The following is a report from the Glasgow Herald Saturday April 11th 1896. “Yesterday afternoon Mr John Fyfe, managing director of Young’s Oil Company, opened the new course of the West Calder & Addiewell Golf Club. After the opening ceremony Mr Rae presented Mr Fyfe with a handsome silver timepiece with golf ornaments. Mr Fyfe then said he intended to present the club with a gold badge to be played for by members” 

The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; secretary, J D Brown, Meadow Banh, West Calder; captain, John Welch; membership, 35; entrance fee, nil, and subs 7s/6d; nine-holes; amateur record, 38; visitors' fees, 6d a day. An inland, sporting course of nine-holes. The hazards are a stream, hedges, etc.

The annual meeting was held in March 1914, Mr Brown Hamilton, captain, was in the chair. The total income, including a balance of £9/6s/1d, brought forward, amounted to £67/8s/3d, and expenditure, £49/1s/2d, leaving a credit of £18/7s/1d. The statement was considred satisfactory. It was agreed to play matches with, Tarbrax, Fauldhouse, Broxburn, Uphall and Carnwath clubs. The question of enlarging the clubhouse was also considered.

In 1913/4 the secretary was P Gibb, Main St, West Calder. The 9-hole course on Burngranage Farm had hazards of a stream, hedges etc, and a membership of 150. There was no entry fee. Subs were 7/6d. Visitors’ fees were 6d a day. Sunday play was not allowed. The station was a ¼ mile from the course.

The winner of the May 1914 medal was John Wardrop, 49-7-42.

Mr D Watson won the June 1914 monthly medal with a score of 92-18-74. The ladies' medal was won by Miss Drummond.

A mixed foursome was played in June 1914, prizes given by Mr & Mrs Gilliland. Winners were Mr Bilsland and Miss K Grant; runners-up, A J Gray and Miss J Rae.

In July 1920 the members competed for the Club Medal on the Burngrange course, it was won by James T Mungle with a score of 86-4-82, the runner-up was J Wardrop. Also in July 1920 the Competition Cup was completed, result as follows; semi-final, Mr Sutherland beat Mr Wilkie, Mr Wilton beat Mr Prentice; in the final Mr Sutherland beat Mr Wilton at the twentieth hole.    

In 1923 the secretary was Armour Gillan, Harrietville, West Calder and the greenkeeper John Stevenson.

Membership was now 120. Amateur record holder was James T Mungle, 72.

From 1924 to the club’s last year in 1929, the secretary was J H Bell, Meadowbank, West Calder and the

greenkeeper R Blackwood. Membership had dropped to 100. Amateur record holder was G McInally, 37.

Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 2/6d a week and 5/- a month.

West Calder & Addiewell Golf Club.  Course location.

Site of West Calder course at Burngrange in 1922.

Grid reference NT01160,62730, co-ordinates 301160,662730.