Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ballantrae Golf Club, Ayr.

The club was founded in 1877 but it's possible that golf could have been played on the links prior to this date. 

The following is taken from the 1888/89 Golfing Annual; Instituted 1877; Entrance Fee, None; Annual Subscription, Three Shillings and Sixpence; Life Membership £1; Number of Members 49; Captain – John B Hunter; Committee – Rev J F Williamson, Messrs. Douglas, Temple and Stuart; Secretary – Robert Temple, Schoolhouse, Ballantrae. Club Prizes – Murdoch Gold Medal and another two scratch prizes, Laggan Cup, Biscuit Box, Silver Cup. Also, the Hunter Monthly Medal, the Challenge Medal, the joint gift of Lord Archibald Campbell and Andrew Lang. Prize Winners in 1888 – Murdoch Medal, D Stuart; Biscuit Box, John McCulloch; Silver Cup, D Stuart; Laggan Cup, Rev J F Williamson; Challenge Medal, Rev J F Williamson. Course Information – The lowest score made in a club competition is 94 – made by more than one player in the Annual Competition in August, this has since been beaten in a private match between members. The links are situated between the highway and the sea, and are easy of access. The sea-beach constitutes a good hazard, affording ample breadth to prevent balls going into the sea, and consisting of soft sand ready for the reception of balls from such luckless players as may drive widely from the course. There are nine holes, four going out and five returning, and there is no hole without its hazard. Some have several hazards consisting either of sand bunkers, stone walls, ditches, cross roads through sand, burn etc. Since the extension of the links last year, the game requires skilful playing, especially the first hole returning (Tickler). The length of the course is 1,300 yards, exposed throughout to exhilarating and bracing breezes from the North Channel and the Atlantic. The turf is good, and the scenery magnificent; the views of Arran, Ailsa, Cantyre, Wigtonshire, and, in clear weather, Ireland, are highly picturesque.

At a meeting in the Public Hall in July 1890 the secretary announced the results of the following competitions. The Laggan Challenge Cup, which had 22 entrants was won by Mr Williamson 100-5-95. The Murdoch Gold Medal for scratch players was won by Mr John Murdoch with an unprecedented score of 87 Mr Cunningham of Kilmarnock was runner-up. The Hunter Casket was won by was won by Mr Stewart, 91the Hunter Cup by Mr Cunningham. Other prize winners were; Mr Gladstone, Mr Williamson, Mr Smart and Mr Lewis Temple.

Competition results from 1890. Laggan Challenge Cup; Mr Williamson, 100 - 6 - 94; Murdoch Gold Medal (scratch players), Mr John Phillips, 87, Mr Cunningham of Kilmarnock was runner up; The Hunter Casket, Mr Stewart, 91; Hunter Cup, Mr Cunningham; Other prize winners, Mr Gladstone, Mr Smart and Mr Lewis Temple.

The course underwent many changes in its early years. It was originally designed by William Fernie. In 1891 further changes were made by Thomas Ramsay of Troon, supervised by Fernie and assisted by greenkeeper Donald Henderson, himself a fine golfer. William Fernie held the professional course record of 71 for many years. Fernie commented on the completion of the course “I found the work entirely to my satisfaction. I particularly look over the teeing grounds and putting greens which are first class. When the grass gets time to grow you will have splendid greens”

I have located an interesting but intimidating description of some holes from 1892. Unfortunately the holes do not have names on the scorecard, therefore untraceable at this time: “The best greens are “Knockdolian” a plateau 15 feet high, forty yards long and fifteen yards in diameter, “Majuba Hill” circled by precipitous sides, “Half Way” defended by two ravines, with a good lie between, “Neck or Nothing”, or “Hally’s Circus”, intersected by the windings of the Red Burn which a player may do in 3, a novice 30, The “Saucer” and “Purgatory” out of which there is no redemption”. A press report at the time stated “The links are of the most varied and and sporting description mainly composed of the famed Ayrshire turf, comparatively free from traps but abounding in hazards – sand bunkers, burns, ravines and dykes guarding the holes. The approaches are well attended to and an accurate game may be depended upon” the description was supposed to encourage visitors, it must have frightened many away.

On Tuesday 13th July 1897 Charles P Thomson won the annual competition for the Hunter Medal with a score of 91 scratch.

On Friday 22nd July 1898 the annual competition for the Gladstone Gold Medal took place. There were 22 entrants, the winner was William Stevenson, Glasgow with a score of 91-5-86.

In August 1898 the ladies competition for the silver topped toilet bottle, presented by Mr Joseph Charlesworth was played. It was won by Miss Hamilton of Glasgow.

The competition for the Murdoch Gold Medal “Champion” was concluded on Friday 10th August 1900, Mr James Phillips, Ballantrae, was declared Champion for the year.

On Thursday 23rd August 1900 Mr J Morris Henderson won the Laggan Cup with a score of 91-4-87. The annual competition for the The McConnel Cup was played the day after and was won by Mr Thomas Adams of Edinburgh. 

A mixed foursome competition with prizes given by Mr & Mrs R J Lockhart, Manchester and Mr H C Smith, Newcatle, was completed on Saturday 25th August 1900, the winners were; Miss Bunce, Mrs Donnan, William Sturrock and John McCulloch.

Below images show the former Ballantrae golf clubhouse in two locations.

 

Ballantrae Golf Club, Ayrshire. The clubhouse on the golf course.

Above postcard shows the Ballantrae clubhouse on the golf course.

 

Ballantrae Golf Club, Ayrshire. The clubhouse on the Bowling Green.

The former Ballantrae clubhouse was later being used by the Colmonell Bowling Club.

 

Ballantrae Golf Club, Ayrshire. Course layout in the 1920s.

Course layout in the 1920s.

 

 

 

Secretary

Professional/greenkeeper

1890

Robert Temple, Schoolhose, Ballantrae

John Baird (p)

1893-95

 

Henry Baxter (p)

1897-1912

 

J McNeillie (p)

1913-14

 

G Thomson (p)

1914-47

J R G Phillips

 

1922

 

James McNeillie (g)

1936-47

 

A Cunningham (g)

In 1914 there was a membership of 150 and the new clubhouse had recently been built. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were 10/- and Ladies 5/-. Visitors’ fees for gents were 1/- a day, 4/- a week, 7/- a fortnight, 10/- a month. Ladies paid 1/-, 2/6d, 3/6 & 5/- respectively. Sunday play was not allowed.

In 1922 membership was now 200. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/6d a week, 12/- a month.

Winner of the annual gold medal and club championship played in August 1925 was J Victor Cunningham with a score of 154.  

From 1936 to 47 the course records were: (a) 70 and (p) 71. Visitors’ fees were now 2/- a day, 7/6d a week, 20/- a month.

Competition for the Stock Cups, mixed foursome over 15 holes, was played in June 1938, result as follows; Miss Lyon and Andrew Cunningham (14), 65; Miss Logan and W Nelson (12), 67; Miss McBride and John Agnew (scratch), 69.

Mixed foursome played over 15 holes in July 1938; Miss Hibbs & Forbes Wynne (8) and Miss Beale & Victor Cunningham (12), 62; Miss M Gow & W Ba(e)ndon jnr ( 16), 64.

Murdoch Gold Medal and Championship played in July 1938; F A Wyse 80+72=152; W Munro, 75+85=160; Laggan Cup, W Munro (6), 69.

Result of a mixed foursome (15 holes) played in August 1938 for prizes presented by Mr & Mrs J M Robertson; Miss E C Mackenzie and A M Fairlie (9), 65; Mrs Grant & A Mackenzie (6), 68; Mrs Robertson & A H Vincent (9), 69.

In August 1938 Miss Lyon, Ballantrae won the ladies' Club Championship with a scratch score of 92. Also in August the McConnell Cup was won by C Agnew (16), 70; the runner-up was A Cunningham (17), 72.

Result of a mixed foursome (15holes) played in September for prizes given by Mr & Mrs Robert Aitken; J Templeton & John Agnew (5), 64; Miss McBride & B Cowper (5) and Miss Bessie McKissock & Ian Mitchell (13), 70.  

Early card of the course -

Hole Yards Hole Yards
1 400 10 315
2 150 11 290
3 150 12 130
4 255 13 225
5 260 14 330
6 285 15 315
7 290 16 270
8 355 17 365
9 280 18 425

The club secretary from 1914 to 1947 was J R G Phillips of Ballantrae. There was a railway station at Pinwherry which was 8 miles away in the early years but by the mid 1930s the nearest station was at Girvan which was 18 miles away. Local hotels were the Kings Arms, Royal and the Ardstinchar. Sunday play was never allowed.

The club prospered until the outbreak of WW2. Following the war, with the proximity of the main road, which intersected the links, and the growing volume of traffic it became impractical to play golf on the old course. There was an attempt by local enthusiasts to resurrect the club and build a nine hole course on land known as the “Windmill” opposite the Kings Arms Hotel. The committee approached Mr Hinds, Craigie Mains for the use of two fields, they also approached Mr George Clark who had two fields bordering Craigie Mains, unfortunately an agreement could not be reached with Mr Hinds. The club at this stage were determined to carry on with the layout of a course on the “Windmill”. Mr John McNally was appointed greenkeeper with Mr Thomas McCreadie his assiatant. A great deal of effort was put in by the greens committee which included Mr McCulloch of Laggan, Mr Tait, Carnethy and Mr Phillips, Rathlyn to re-establish the club on the “Windmill” but with dwindling membership following WW2 it became impossible to carry on. In April 1951 it was announced by Hew Dalrymple, the chairman and club captain, that because of lack of funds it would be imprudent to carry on and arrangements were made to dispose of the clubs assets. At the final meeting in October 1951 an offer of £210 was accepted for the clubhouse from Colmonell Bowling Club. The clubs trophies are stored in bank vaults in Girvan.

In 1951 the new course on the Windmill was still being recorded, the secretary was W C Dallas, Commercial Bank, Ballantrae and the greenkeeper J McNally. The nine hole course had a SSS of 68. The amateur course record was held by R H Stevenson with a score of 71. Visitors’ fees were 10/- a week, 15/- a fortnight, 20/- a month.

 

Location of Ballantrae Golf Club course.

Location of Ballantrae golf course.

Grid reference NX09000 84665, co-ordinates 209000 584665.