Brodick Golf Club, Arran.
The Brodick Golf Club was founded 1897.
The original Brodick nine-hole course was situated in an elevated position near Knowe and West Mayish. The course, with principal hazards of hedges, dykes and trees was designed by Jack Duncan of Glasgow for the Brodick Public Hall Company Ltd.
In 1903/4 the secretary was G Laidler, Ivy Cottage, Brodick. The captain was D Smith and the green-keeper M Kerr. Amateur course record J D McIntyre, 33. Entrance fee was 10s/6d and subs 10/6. Visitors’ fees were; 1/- a day, 2/6 a week, 4/- a fortnight and 7/6 a month.
The following course description is taken from the Nisbet’s Golf Yearbook of 1904 – “The course is situated on the rising ground above the village of Brodick. The soil is on the heavy side, but, notwithstanding this, good lies are obtained, and the greens are good. The hazards consist of hedges, ditches, whin and rushes, and taken all over it is a good sporting course. There is a clubhouse about five minutes’ walk from the village and ten minutes from the pier”
Brodick Golf Club moved to its present location in 1913.
The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former Brodick golf course.