Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Club, Ayrshire.

It was reported in June 1910 that the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Course Ltd., were to lay out a course on the farm at Leigh Dykes, Ardrossan. Capital £2,000, divided in to £1 shares.

Michael Bradie, the professional at Bridge of Allan Golf Club, was appointed professional and green-keeper at Ardrossan & Saltcoats in January 1912. 

 

The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Club Clubhouse pre-WW1.

Above is a pre-WW1 Ewing Vintage postcard of the clubhouse.

 

Result of a ladies’ competition played in June 1913, prizes presented by Mr A G McGlashan; Miss Jessie Armour beat Miss Jean Stewart. 

Result of the Chrysalis medal played in July 1913; Miss Keys (14), 90; Miss Wait (7), 91; Miss Kay (7), 98.

 

Ardrosssan & Saltcoats Golf Club Clubhouse and course around WW1.

Above is a postcard of the clubhouse and course around the time of WW1.

 

In 1923 the secretary was Jas Campbell, a writer, of Saltcoats who held the position of secretary until the late 1940s. An 18 hole course to the outbreak of WW2; after the war in 1947 the course was reduced to 9 holes. There were stations at Saltcoats Caledonian or Ardrossan South Beach a few minutes away. Local hotels were the Eglinton, Kilmeny and the Ingledene. Sunday play was not allowed.

  Professional/greenkeeper
1912 Michael Brady (p)
1923 A W Robertson (p&g)
1926-30s H McInnes (p&g)
1940-47 T A Paterson

In 1923 the visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 10/- a fortnight and £1 a month.

Result of the Cant Medal played in April 1930; R Nelson (20), 64; J Wilkie (15), 69; D H Russell (7), 73; William Ness (11), 74. Stewart Medal; T Orr (4), 76; T Borland (6), 79; J Cowan (7),80; A McCullum (9), 80. McGregor Medal; J Templeton (17), 70; T Borland jun (14), 72; G M McRae (14), 74; G Brodie (14), 75.

Result of the Cant medal played in June 1935 ended in a tie between Gerald Anderson, 77-11-66 and J B Bell, 88-22-66.

The Kemp Jubilee Trophy was played in June 1935 over the Ardrossan & Saltcoats coure. The trophy was presented by Mr Harry Kemp, “the amusement caterer”, it was an annual open competition for amateur golfers. All the prizes were won by members of the home club, scores for Ardrossan members; Jas Carson (9), 66; R McGilvray (4) and A Small (10), 67; Jas Little (8), 68; Frank Hail (10), 69; A Barclay (7), 70; A Taylor (4) J J Murray (10) J W Martin (6) G Brady (8) H Blythe (8) H B Bennet (10) Jas Cowan (6) A Gray (8), 71.

Spring meeting result from April 1938; first class – Alex McCallum (8h’cap), 71; J Morris (8) and A Taylor (1), 72; second class – J Nelson (15) and R N Dickie (22), 68; H Coombs (19), 69.

Result of the Cant medal played in June 1938; H M Bennett (9), 65; James Taylor (19), 67; J Lamont (2), 68; J Merrie (8) and A McAllum (8), 69; Stewart medal – O Andrews (7), 63; J Morris (8), 72; G Marslay? (4), J Paterson (?), H H Bennett (6) and J J Murray (9), 76; MacGregor medal – J Wilson (11), 72; K Wilson (11), 73; J Templeton (13), 74; J Coombs (18), 76; J M Fullerton (16), 77; Club medal – H McMillan (24), 70; J McCallum (21), 74; A Levesley (20), 76.

Result of competitions played in July 1938; Stewart medal – G Beale? (10), 68; G Anderson (4), 69; MacGregor medal – R J Holt (18) and W M Ewing (17), 67; F S Kean (11), 68; Club medal and green-keeper’s medal – J M Short (21), 66.  

Result of the Stewart medal played in September 1938; A McCallum (5) 74; A Gray (4), 75; MacGregor medal - F Dunlop (18?), 69; H Coombs (18) and J M Short (17), 71; J Logan (22), 75

From 1940 to 1947 visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 7/6d a week, 12/6d a fortnight and £1 a month.

In 1950 the land used by Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Club was bought by Ayr County Council - Ardrossan and Saltcoats Burgh Councils at a cost of £6,400. The land was subsequently used to provide recreational facilities on the Laighdykes Playing Fields. It appears that the Golf Club may have limped along until the mid 1950s, always aware of its inevitable demise. The secretary during this period was S W Wylie, 105 Argyle Road, Saltcoats, and the greenkeeper T A Paterson. The course had been extended to 11 holes in the early fifties, only to be reduced to 9 holes measuring 2,478yds by 1956. Membership at this time was about 120.

Location of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Club course.

Map showing position of the course.

Grid reference NS24750 42660, co-ordinates 224750 642660.

 

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Golf Club clubhouse in the early 1920s.

A postcard of the clubhouse in the early 1920s.