Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Kelso Golf Club, Friars Haugh.

The club was founded in 1887.

 

Kelso Golf Club, Friars Haugh. Entry from The Golfing Annual 1888/89.

From The Golfing Annual 1888/89.

 

Kelso Golf Club, Friars Haugh. Result of a match against Selkirk in 1888.

From the Southern Reporter May 3rd 1888. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

On Saturday 8th February 1890 the Kelso Club played its first competition of the season on the course at Friars Haugh, the prizes were given by the captain and ex captain. Two rounds of the eleven hole course were played. Result; Edward Somner, 126-33-93; Dr Rutherford, 97-4-93; T D C Smith, 100 scratch; A Pott Stevenson, 116-13-103; James Newton, 110-6-104; James Forsyth, 125-20-105; W Robson, solicitor, 122-14-108.

A competition of two rounds of nine holes was held at Friars Haugh on Saturday 5th April 1890. The course was in good condition but the greens were “uncertain” Result; W M Maxton, 104-12-92; Dr Rutherford, 94 scratch; James Newton, 100-6-94; Walter Rutherford, 95 scratch; William Bennett, 101 scratch; T C D Smith, 102 scratch; Allan Stevenson, 116-14-102; Dr Johnston, 133-30-103; John Forrest, 131-25-106; Robert Faulds, 132-25-107; James Beveridge, 128-20-108; W G Lay, 124-14-110.

The following is from the 1905 Nisbet’s Golf Yearbook; Instituted 1887; Membership of 60; Hon. Secretary – G S Douglas, 44 Wood Market, Kelso; Captain – Dr Rutherford; Entrance Fee Nil and Subs 10s; Nine-holes. The course is playable during winter until the end of April. It is almost quite flatand bounded on two sides by water.

It was reported in May 1905 “that the Duke of Roxburghe has placed the private course at Floors Castle at the disposal of the members of the Kelso Golf Club for three months.”

The current Kelso GC play on the Racecourse.