Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Coldingham & St Abb's Golf Club, Scottish Borders.

There were two courses in Coldingham; one located near Coldingham Loch and the other on St Abb’s Head near Mire Loch. 

Founded about 1885, the St Abb’s course was mostly played as a summer holiday course. The club survived WW1 when it was mostly commandeered by the Royal Garrison Artillery, it did appear following WW2. Ben Sayers, of North Berwick, was an advisor to the club on occasions from 1910. Along with many other clubs of the time finances regularly needed to be raised. A Golf Bazaar was held at this club in 1913 when 1,000 copies of a now very rare collectable Guide to the District were available. The guide included the only known plan of an often changed course. I would like to thank Robin Morris for this contribution. 

On Thursday 9th August 1894 a club match was played between St Abbs and Eyemouth on the St Abbs course, the match ended all square. 

The November 1914 monthly medal at the St Abb’s & Coldingham club was won by Mr C McCallum with a score of 100-5-95. In the same month, playing round with James French, William Nisbet, the professional, went round in 35, a course record. Newcastle Journal 17 Nov 1914. 

The funds for the clubhouse in the picture below were raised at the bazaar in 1913. Among the people in the image are the Kilpatrick family who ran the Anchor Inn in Coldingham. The former “clubhouse” is now used as a beach hut on Coldingham Bay beach. (information from Robin Morris) 

 

 

Coldingham and St Abbs Golf Club. Clubhouse and golfers.

A group of Coldingham golfers in front of a clubhouse, but which course is this? Picture courtesy of Jim Martin.

 

Coldingham and St Abbs Golf Club. Course location.

Above is the location of the course at Coldingham Loch (Mire Loch shown to the east on St Abb’s Head.)

 

Coldingham and St Abbs Golf Club. 1908 O.S map showing course.

The above 1908 O.S map shows the Coldingham Loch course marked in the centre and to the west. This course was still appearing in the 1950s.