Carsphairn Golf Club, Dumfries & Galloway.
First appeared in the early 1920s.
In 1923 the joint secretaries were Alex Singleton and C L Randall, and the green-keeper was G Hunter. Carsphairn was a 9-hole course with a membership of 26. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, 5/- a week, 7/6d a fortnight and 10/- a month.
In February 1928 the Dundee Courier ran an article called “Where Golfers Don’t Wait – but they may have to walk or sail – courses on which there is no hurry – small memberships”
Included in the write-up were the following, now defunct clubs; Pirnmill Golf Club on Arran which had a membership of just 34; Carsphairn Golf Club in Kircudbrightshire, 26 members; The former private course of the Archerfield Golf Club, 30 members; The record at this time was held by the Durrow Golf Club, Queen’s County, with its membership of just twelve. Surely here was the ideal situation for the starter at Durrow, where, at the usual three minute intervals, all the members could be despatched in 18 minutes.
In 1930 the secretary was C L Randall and the greenkeeper G Hunter.
From the mid 1930s to its final appearance in 1940, the address was Carsphairn Golf Club, Kirkudbrightshire. The secretary was John A Hunter, “The Knowe”, Carsphairn, and the green-keeper was A Borthwick. Membership stood at about 30. There was a slight increase in visitors’ fees to 6/- a week, 9/- a fortnight and 15/- a month. The railway station at Dalmellington was 10 miles away, and there was a bus service from Glasgow and Castle Douglas three times a day. Local hotel was the Salutation.
The Google Map below pinpoints the Carsphairn War Memorial, the golf course was adjacent.
View United Kingdom in a larger map