Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Southerness Golf Club, Dumfies & Galloway.

First appeared in 1913.

To get play under way a rough and ready seven-hole course with hardly any hazards was laid out at Gillfoot. The prospect of extending the course was good as there was plenty of flat land available should the need arise.

Hole one – 260 yards; two, 320 yards; three, 160 yards; four, 230 yards; five, 250 yards; six, 210 yards; seven, 160 yards.

 

Southerness Golf Club, Dumfries & Galloway. Press report from April 1914.

From The Dumfries & Galloway Standard Saturday 25th April 1914. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The opening of the course for the season was to take place on Saturday 13th May 1916. A special motor would be leaving Burns Statue at 11.30. Tickets were 7shillings each to include fare, dinner, tea and golf. A limited number of tickets wereavailable by applying to the secretary, R Dinnwiddie, 117 High Street, Dumfries.

Southerness Golf Club, Dumfries & Galloway. Press report from July 1916.

From The Dumfries & Galloway Standard Wednesday July 19th 1916. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Southerness Golf Club, Dumfries & Galloway. Gillfoot on the 1909 Ordnance Survey Map.

Gillfoot is marked in the centre of the above map. Reproduced from the {1909} Ordnance map. This is before the course was in existence.

 

The current Sotherness Golf Club came into being following WW2.

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the earlier course.