Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Charlottenburger Golf Club. (1894 - 1907)

 Spandauer Damm, South Side.

In 1894 the first golf course in Berlin opened south of the Chaussee from Charlottenburg to Spandau approximately at the highest point of today's Spandauer Damm, also called Spandauer Berg. The course had 9-holes varying between 125 and 170 meters long.

Apart from its size, the terrain has no merits, because it is flat, bare and dry. Nevertheless, much golf was played and soon barracks 10 metres long serving as a clubhouse were built adjacent to the golf course. In order to access the golf course the players had to cross the beer garden (presumably Restaurant Fürstensaal)

 

Charlottenburger Golf Club, Spandauer Damm, South Side. The teeing ground.

The teeing ground.

 

Charlottenburger Golf Club, Spandauer Damm, South Side. Golfer and caddy.

Golfer and caddy. Images from the Christoph Meister archive.

 

The above drawing of a golfer with a caddy by O. Markus, published in 1896 in Modern Art, shows in the background the Charlottenburg Water Tower, built in 1881. From the perspective, the location of the golf course south of the Spandauer Damm emerges. The second, still preserved larger water tower was built in 1908. 

In the Berlin address book of 1900 the address is given as Ulmenallee 46, thus still south of today's Spandauer Damm.

In 1907 the move to the north side of the Spandauer Damm took place after a former Ruhwald steeplechase race course had been relocated. For further information on the new course see Berlin-Westend. 

Christoph Meister

December 2017.

The Google Map below pinpoints Ulmenstrasse 46 location of the former clubhouse.