In April 1945 the US Army confiscated the Herzogenaurach airbase. In May 1946, the 2nd Radio Corps took over the installation and in 1947 the base was occupied by the US Army Security Agency until 1971.
It is believed that a 9-hole golf course was built in 1947/48 and there is proof that the course was definitely in existence by 1953. Due to the large numbers of monitoring posts the golf complex on the Herzo Base was referred to as "Steel Trees Golf Club".
The golf course was included in the base closure plan and on August 4th, 1992 the installation was officially returned by the 210th Field Artillery Group (based at Herzogenaurach since 1971) to the German government.
It was in 1997 - 30 years after the establishment of the Golf-Club Herzogenaurach e.V. (GCH) that the club’s future was endangered as the lease for the land used by the golf course had expired. The site was acquired by a company called GEV and the lease contract was extended until the end of 2000.
By this time GEV had already made other plans, so GCH had to find a new site for a course. The search was complicated, but finally proved successful when a suitable piece of land was found in Burgstall.
On June 21, 2003, the last competition was held on the former the Herzo-Base golf course.
Parts of the former course have been taken over by the Addidas headquarters but some features of the former course are still visible.
The Google Map below shows the location of the former course.