Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Krefeld Golf Club, Egelsberg. 

The Krefeld Golf Club was founded in 1930 and by April 1931 the first golf balls were flying on the training area under the surveillance of English Golf professional W.H.Hain. On June 13th 1931 the 9-hole course at Egelsberg (Krefeld-Traar) designed by golf architects C.A. Mackenzie, Fahrenholtz and Hoffmann was officially opened. 

The course was 3.040m long. The first hole was a Par 4 (380m) where the green could be reached easily with the second shot using a longer iron or a spoon. The following two holes were longer Par 4 holes 390m respectively 360m long. Holes 4 and 6 were the only shorter holes, no. 4 had water in front of the green, whereas at No.6 a deep valley had to be crossed. Hole 7, a dogleg with 480m, was the longest on the course. Holes 8 and 9 were also relatively long, but quite easy to play. (Source: “Golf”, 1.7.1931).

Haus Bruckhausen, which was rented and used as a clubhouse, is still there and today it is the facility of the Evangelical church (www.bruckhausen-krefeld.de). The house was not directly on the golf course, but about 5 min. away.

Once the new clubhouse was in use, the numbering of the holes was changed: Former No.3 became no. 1, no. 4 was now No. 2 and so on.

In 1933 the course was extended to 18-holes after 6 additional had been opened officially on May 13th 1933. The additional holes (1, 2, 3, and 13, 14, 15 of the new course) were now joining the club house to the rest of the course. Holes No. 4, 5, 6, where played twice, coming home they were again played as holes no. 13, 14 and 15. The course now had a length of 6,056m (gentlemen) and 5,324m (ladies) at standard 76 for 18 holes.

 

Krefeld Golf Club, Egelsburg. View of the former Egelsberg golf course.

 

Krefeld Golf Club, Egelsburg. View of the former Egelsberg golf course.

 

Krefeld Golf Club, Egelsburg. View of the former Egelsberg golf course.

 

Krefeld Golf Club, Egelsburg. View of the former Egelsberg golf course.

The above images are from the Christoph Meister Arcvhive.

 

At the beginning of 1937 the city of Krefeld made a contract with the German Army to rent the Egelsberg area. The club received compensation and found a new area at Greiffenhorst where the club is still based today. Plans for an 18-hole course were drawn by Karl Koffmann and Bernhard von Limburger and the new course was opened with the first 9-holes in play on September 8th 1940.

Today the Egelsberg is used as an airfield for small-engine aircrafts and, above all, for gliders.