Florence Golf Club.
According to the different editions of the Nisbet’s Golfing Guides the Florence Golf Club was founded in 1899. This date is also confirmed by the Golfing Annual 1901-02 which bears the first mentioning of Florence GC giving the following description: “The course, of nine holes, is in the old Demdoff Park at San Donato. The turf is good, and the hazards consist of hedges, trees, a dyke, etc. There is a good clubhouse on the ground, which is within easy reach of Florence (about a mile and a half distant.)”
The secretary in 1900 was Dr Stuart Tiddy, 10 Visa du Panzani, Florence.
In 1905 the first Italian Amateur Open Championship was played in Florence and A.W. Butchart, brother of C.S. Butchart, who later was professional in Berlin-Wannsee, employed as club professional.
Following is a description of the course from Nisbet’s 1912. “The course is situated about 250 yards outside the barrier of Ponte Alle Mosse, and can be reached by electric tram in quarter of an hour from Duomo. The course is flat with natural hazards, roads and pollarded trees, artificial bunkers have been added. Bogey 36”. The secretary at this time was A Mavrogorvato, 5 Via Alfieri. The professional was Louis Prette.