Pallanza Golf Club.
In 1928 an 18-hole golf course belonging to the Hotel Majestic at Pallanza was laid out on sandy soil near Fondotoce on Lago Maggiore. The course was designed by London golf architects Hawtree & J.H. Taylor. There was already the 9-hole course of Stresa-Alpino in existence, but whereas Stresa is a course high up on the hills overlooking Lago Maggiore, the Pallanza golf course was build right next to the lake shore between Pallanza and Baleno close to the Pallanza railway station on the Simplon line.
Major Westerkamp, formerly secretary at Hamburger Golf-Club in Germany, became honorary secretary. The professional was Pat Kirkpatrick.
In May 1935 the Italian magazine Golf reported that the golf course at Pallanza had been closed. It seems that economically the course was not a success. The clubhouse is still standing today and used as a kinder garden. A football pitch is now covering the area that once used to be the first fairway.
View Italy in a larger map