Merano Golf Club.
After the First World War Merano had to cope with the absence of the old regular guests from the Austro-Hungarian empire and therefore the local tourist board had considered it a duty to create a golf course in Merano to target Anglo-Saxon spa guests.
In 1921 a golf committee was established consisting of the following gentlemen; An der Lan, Dr. Binder, Bauduin, Herglotz, OttoTank,Strobel, Dr.Sperk and Welz, all of whom devoted themselves with great energy to the achievement of the objective set.
After almost a year of negotiations a site for a golf course was provided with the special help of former mayor Hartmann and hotelier Welz. In August1922 construction work began and in mid-October the course was ready for play. The British ambassador in Rome, Sir Ronald Graham, took over as Honorary President. Honorary Secretary was Mr.O.v. An der Lan later followed by Arthur J.Wright and colonel C.Rasmus.
The golf course was located next to the sports grounds with golf club rooms housed in the grandstand. Merano was at this time a fashionable resort in Alto Adige and was much frequented by British and American visitors to Italy.
During the early 1930s the focus was changed to concentrate on horse racing and golf was not considered compatible.
The opening of the racecourse in 1934 meant the end of the golf course in Merano. There were efforts to reopen the golf course before the Second World War, they never materialized.