Blackpill Golf Club, Swansea.
Founded in 1905, the course was located at Blackpill Burrows, between the coast and the Swansea and Mumbles Railway line. The secretary and professional throughout the club’s history was W H Booth who also held the course record of 31. Blackpill was a 9 hole course with a membership of 100. Sunday play was not allowed. The railway station at Mumbles Road (L&NWR) was 3 minutes away.
Below is the result of a match played on the Aberavon links against Blackpill in September 1910.
|Aberavon & Port Talbot Golf Club||Blackpill Golf Club|
|J H Cound||1||H B Thomas||0|
|R P Bevan||0||C Johnson||1|
|M Gwyn Jenkins||1||T D Thomas||0|
|E M Jenkins||1||S Osborn||0|
|J E Jenkins||1||R A Jones||0|
|E T Tennant||1||S Jones||0|
|W R John||1||J Williams||0|
|Percy Jacob||1||T Cobb||0|
|W F Gibb||0||T Sims||1|
|S G O'Sullivan||1||B Jones||0|
In 1914 there was no entry fee and subs were 10/-. Visitors’ fees, on introduction by a member, were 1/- a day, 3/- a week, 5/- a month.
In 1922 there was a slight increase in visitors’ fees to 1/- a day, 5/- a week, 10/- a month.
From 1926 to the club’s last year in 1948 visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week, 10/- a month.
William Henry Booth the professional at Blackpill was born at Twyning in 1868. He served with the 2nd Battalion the Worcestershire Regiment. He was also patentee of the “Whippo Shafts”
A 9 hole pitch and put course now occupies the site of the original course.