Blaenavon Golf Club, Forge Side, Torfaen.
Founded in 1906. A 9-hole course with very well kept greens on mountain and meadow turf. Sunday play was not allowed in the early years but was “optional” in the 1930s. The railway station was 5 minutes away. There was a licensed clubhouse in the 1930s.
|1906 - 1909||R Brown (p)|
|1910||T E Taylor (p)|
|1914||H H Head, The Terrace, Blaenavon||T E Taylor (to 1917) (p)|
|1923||C F Sullivan, 6 Ewnayon Rd, Blaenavon||W T Phillips (g)|
|1924-1926||T C Davies, London House, Aberaeron||A S Phillips (g)|
|1927||E M Dwyer, Geluytd, Blaenavon||S Phillips (g)|
|1928-1931||R J Morris, 25 Allgood Ave, Blaenavon|
|1932||F E Davies, Brooklands, Blaenavon|
|1937||A F Lowe, Cwmavon||C Phillips (g)|
Membership in 1914 was 140, there was no entry fee, and subs were £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were; 1/- a day, 5/- a week, 15/- a month.
In 1923 Membership had dropped to 90. Visitors’ fees were now 2/6d a day.
In 1927 visitors’ fees had been reduced to 1/6d a day and 10/- a month. Membership at this time was 60.
In the club’s last year in 1937 the 9-hole course had a par of 36, and there was a membership of 52. The amateur course record was held by C Phillips with a score of 36. Visitors’ fees were; 1/6d a day, 10/- a month.