Aberaeron Golf Club, Ceredigion.
Founded in May 1923, in a lovely area in the Vale of Aeron ,the 9 hole course, surrounded by rivers, woods and hills, was triangular in shape with the River Aeron on one side, the Mydr (a tributary of the Aeron) on the second side, and the Great Western Railway from Lampeter to Aberaeron running practically the whole length of the third side. The course had its own station, Llanerchaeron Halt, just fifty yards from the entrance to the course. There is some evidence of an earlier course at Ffosdeikin, which had become unsuitable and could not be developed, but no further information has been found.
|1925||H T Evans, Maesgwyn, Aberaeron||J Davies (g)|
|1927||T T Davies, Gerallt, Aberaeron||E Richards (p)|
|1928-30||as 1925 and 1927, joint||H Lincoln (p&g)|
|1931-36||Hughes-Davis, Brynawel, Aberaeron||H Lincoln (p&g)|
|1937-39||T C Davies, London House, Aberaeron||H Lincoln (p&g)|
|1940-47||D T Evans, Netherby, Wellington Street, Aberareon||H Lincoln (p&g)|
In 1925 membership stood at 80, but steadily reduced to 70 in 1927 and only 50 from 1930 onwards. Visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day in 1925, remaining unchanged until at least 1936 (7/6d a week, 12/6d a fortnight, and 17/6d a month), eventually reducing to 1/6d a day from 1940. Sunday play was never allowed.
Two whist drives where held in January 1925 in aid of golf club funds. At the second a presentation was made to Mr L G Stanford winner of the Silver Challenge Cup donated by Mr Jordan Jones. Mr Talvan Davies, club captain and runner-up to Mr Stanford in the competition, presented the trophy.
Below is the result of a match played against St David’s College in February 1925.
|Aberaeron||St David's College|
|T T Davies (9&7)||1||Caid Evans||0|
|R Griffiths (3&2)||1||Mr Davison||0|
|L G Stanford||0||Mr Meluish (2&1)||1|
|H T Evans (6&5)||1||H Bedford||0|
|E Davies||0||Prof Morris (3&1)||1|
|D Roberts (4&3)||1||C Ll Jones||0|
|Gwilym Davies||0||W Jones (3&1)||1|
|B M Davies (8&6)||1||J O Jay||0|
|Captain Jones||0||W Nicholls (2&1)||1|
|J T Davies (4&3)||1||G R N Williams||0|
The following is a hole by hole description of the Aberaeron course from the 1920s:
Hole One “The Dingle”: 390 yards, bogey 5. It forms the base of the triangular course. A slight pull will land the drive into the Mydr, while a dingle has its terrors for a careless approach shot.
Hole Two “The Cemetery”: 145yds, bogey 3. The road, the ditch, and the cemetery of the parish church form excellent natural hazards. The cemetery in particular takes a heavy toll.
Hole Three “The Hall”: 240yds, bogey 4. This hole is flanked on the left by the churchyard, while on the right there are four tall elm trees, leaving a width of about fifty yards of fairway. A long straight drive however, will clear both hazards. The green is protected by the drive to the Hall and by the hedge and ditch which guard the course from the road.
Hole Four “The Nest”: 285yds, bogey 4. So called from a large elm tree on the edge of the fairway. The trunk is encircled in a mass of ivy and debris, wherein many a ball has found a nest. The green is on slightly sloping ground, and requires a carefully pitched approach shot.
Hole Five “The Fishpond”: 435yds, bogey 5. This is the longest hole on the course. There is a clump of tall elm trees on the left of the fairway, and rough grass on the right. A good second, following a satisfactory drive, rarely reaches the green, which is situated at the apex of the course.
Hole Six “The Leet”: 260yds, bogey 4. As its name suggests, the green is protected by a leet which skirts this hole and the seventh, and separates them from a neighbouring hay-field. A good drive, followed by a short approach shot, will relieve the golfer of any anxiety.
Hole Seven “The Dog’s Leg”: 250yds, bogey 4. The leet here makes a sharp curve around the hay-field. It is a blind hole, but the enterprising player will make straight for the green, thus cutting off the curve and considerably shortening the distance. The green, however, has not yet been reached in one. The inexperienced avoid the curve, drive to the open, and seek to reach the green in two.
Hole Eight “The Peak”: 245yds, bogey 4. This is perhaps the easiest “four” on the course, for a good drive will land the ball within a few yards of the green.
Hole Nine “The Mydr”: 160yds, bogey 3. This is not often done in bogey, for a ball landing on or near the green invariably rolls into the rough on the bank of the stream, while a short iron is apt to fall dead.
The course was taken over by the War Ministry in the 1940s and the land was used for agricultural purposes to aid the war effort. Records show that an unsuccessful attempt was made to reinstate the club following WW2.
The site is now part of the Llanerchaeron estate grounds, owned by The National Trust. During 1995, the National Trust Centenary, the course was recreated and once again golf was played over the old course. Visitors were invited to play and a marquee was set up in the estate grounds to house exhibits. On display was The Jordan Jones Cup, presented to the club by J Jordan Jones of Llanarth on the opening of the original course in 1923. This trophy was competed for annually by members, and in 1924 was won by L G Stanford and in 1925 by Howell T Evans.
The layout for the 1995 course differed to the 1920s course (see course description above)
Comparison of the Centenary event scorecard with the hole descriptions from the 1920s shows that the course used in 1995 did not correspond exactly to the original numbered layout.
Following the enthusiasm shown at the Centenary event it was hoped that there could be a future for golf at Llanerchaeron, but this further attempt to create the Aberaeron Golfing Society met with little success.