Bala Golf Club, Gwynedd
Founded in 1909, the original 18 hole course with well guarded greens and natural hazards of hedges and ditches was laid out on the banks of the River Dee on Berthlafar Fields; it was eventually reduced to 9 holes. The course was constantly plagued by flooding and in the mid 1920s it was decided that the club should move to a new higher location at Hendre Ddu and later Penlan. Local hotel was the White Lion.
|1914||W Hughes, Bank House, Bala||56 gents, 30 ladies|
|1923||R D Roberts, Nat Provincial Bank, Bala||36 gents, 20 ladies|
|1928||A Maddock-Jones, Tawelfan, Bala|
|1940 - 1947||W H Jones, 60 High Street, Bala||120||E Roberts|
|1951||Rev G Davys Jones, Llanfor Rectory||T Simon|
Initially, visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, 5/- a week, increasing to 2/6d a day, 7/6d a week, and 15/- a month by 1947. There were no restrictions on ladies’ play. Sunday play was not allowed.
The course was listed from the mid 1950s to 1966 when the secretary was G T Leary, Hendre Ddu and the greenkeeper T Simon. Visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 10/- a week and 21/- a month. Country membership was 31/6d.