Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Ashover Golf Club, Derbyshire. (1905 - 1920s)

A 9 hole course, founded in 1905. The Ashover House Hydro Hotel was a 12 minute walk from the course.

The nearest station was at Stretton three miles away.

The Ashover course was situated on a plateau 900ft above sea level in one of the most picturesque parts of Derbyshire. The course was laid out over old grazing land by Tom Williamson of Hollingwell, and Joseph Sherlock, the Ashover professional. Hazards consisted of gorse bushes, stone walls, an artificial gorse fence 6ft high approaching the fifth hole and an artificial bank and ditch before the ninth.  The membership consisted of 25 men and 25 ladies.

Following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph on Saturday 3 December 1904.

“A long felt want at Ashover is shortly to be remedied by the making of a golf links at Ashover, a much patronised inland resort in Derbyshire. A committee consisting of; J B Jackson, A F Jones, W S Udall, W Haslam, J H Twigg, Dr Benson and P R Birks have had the matter in hand for some time. The course selected is situated on what is known as Long Lane, Ashover, which is close to Bassett Barn Farm. This has been viewed by professionals, and they are of the opinion that it will make a good golf nine-hole course. Arrangements have been made with landowners and occupiers of land, and they have given the committee every assistance. The work of preparing the links will shortly be proceeded with, and in a few months time the committee hope the course will be ready for play.”

It was reported in April 1905 that Tom Williamson had laid out the nine-hole course and it would be open for play at Easter.

The formal opening of the course in June 1905.


Ashover Golf Club, Derbyshire. The opening of the course in June 1905.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal Friday 9 June 1905. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


In 1906 the secretary was J A Benson, Hockley House, near Chesterfield. The professional from 1905 was Joseph Sherlock, and from 1906 to 1909 C F Knight. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week, 10/- a month and £1/1/0 per year.

The first annual meeting was held in June 1906, W Chesterman presided. The accounts, provided by Dr. Benson, showed a deficit of £35/18s/3d. The following officer were appointed; President, W Chesterman; vice-presidents - G A Booth, W Haslam, J H Twigg, J B Jackson, Godfrey Jackson and G A Strutt; secretary, Dr. Benson; treasurer, W S Udall; committee - S E Chesterman, E Johnson, C Johnson.

It was reported in October 1909 that rapid strides were being taken at Ashover. New holes were to be added, a new clubhouse was to be erected and there was a probability of Sunday play. 

No further  reference found for Ashover prior to WW1 has been found.

However, it re-appeared in the early 1920s when the secretary was J W Twigg, Amber House, Ashover. Visitors’ fees were as 1906.

The revival was short lived as Ashover Golf Club had disappeared by the late 1920s.

Location of the Ashover Golf Club course in the 1920s.

Location of the Ashover course in the 1920s.

Grid reference SK35245, 64700, co-ordinates 435245, 364700.