Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. (1913 - WW2)

In August 1913 it was announced that an 18-hole golf course and a ladies’ nine-hole course was being planned for Broxbourne.

It was reported in October 1913 that a meeting was to be held at the Recreation Room, Broxbourne, on Saturday 25 October at 4.30 pm to discuss the laying out of a golf course on the Broxbournebury Estate. A plan of the land and a suggested layout would be provided by J H Taylor who had recently inspected the area. A large attendance was requested to show support for the scheme. W A Vincent of Broxbourne was the contact. 

Mr H N G Bushby presided at the public meeting when it was unanimously decided that a course was desirable for the area. A clubhouse called the Red House has already been erected. The course would take in land running from the Red House in the direction of Baas Hill and then back again to the Wormley boundary and the Red House. The course had been examined by J H Taylor and he reported that it could be made into a good course. It was anticipated that a nine-hole course could be ready by next June and a full eighteen-hole course would quickly follow.

The April 1923 monthly bogey was won by R P Warren (17,) 4up. 

Report on the opening of the "New Course" in July 1923.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Report on the opening of the new course in July 1923.

Nottingham Evening Post Thursday 12 July 1923. Image © Reach plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.


In 1924 the secretary as J N Wreford-Brown. Telephone 64. Number of holes not found at this time. There was a membership of 200. The professional was W E Brown, who had joined the club in 1923, and held the course record with a score of 69. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a round, 3/- a day, weekends and bank holidays 5/- a day and £2/2/0 a month. Station at Broxbourne was 10 minutes away, and London, Liverpool Street was 20 minutes away.

Ordnance Survey Map showing the clubhouse and course.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Ordnance Survey Map from the 1920s showing the clubhouse and course.

O.S. Map Revised © Crown Copyright {year of publication 1925}.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Article from The Bystander in January 1937.

From The Bystander 13 January 1937. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Article from The Tatler July 1939.


Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Article from The Tatler July 1939.

Above images from The Tatler 5 July 1939. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.


Result of the January 1939 medal; F F Cohen, 84-10-74; G O Fulkes, 96-17-79; A Griew, 88-9-79. 

Result of the June 1939 medal; J W Emelie, 81-16-65; L P J Klemantaske, 80-8-72; A E Cope, 92-18-74; G O Fulkes, 92-17-75.

The death was announced in September 1939 of Mr George Reginald Stamp, owner of the Broxbourne Golf Club.

It was reported in October 1939 that Hoddesden Urban Council had put in place a scheme to purchase Broxbourne golf course for £30,000.

From 1926 to 1940 the secretary was still J N Wreford Brown, telephone Hoddesdon 2264 and 2267. The professional was still W E Brown, who stayed until about 1940. The greenkeepers were E Caldbeck (late 1920s  and early 1930s), E Dunn (mid 1930s on). Now listed as an 18 hole course with a SSS of 75, membership now stood at 230. The Professional course record was still held by W E Brown with an improved score of 62. Visitors’ fees were now 3/- a day, 5/- at weekend and Bank Holdays, 15/- a week, £2/2/0 a month and £3/6/0 for six months. Local hotel was the Bull.

Food before golf - It was reported in April 1942 that the Broxbourne golf course had been turned over to agriculture and had so far produced over 300 tons of potatoes.

Broxbourne Golf Club, Herts. Location of the former course.

Location of the Broxbourne course.

Grid reference TL35945,06415, co-ordinates 535945,206415.



Broxbourne Golf Club disappeared in the early 1950s.