Blakeney and Cley Golf Club, Norfolk. (1894 - WW2)
The club was founded in 1894.
Blakeney and Cley had a 9-hole course, about 10 minutes walk from Blakeney Town along a sea bank. The turf was good and the greens excellent and well kept. The clubhouse offered accommodation for players. There was a membership peak of about 100. The Station at Holt was 5 miles away. Local hotels were the Blakeney, Ship, Priory Farm, White Horse at Blakeney and the George and the Fishmongers Arms at Cley.
Report on the proposed golf course in August 1894.
Description of the golf course in June 1895.
Result of a match played in July 1895
The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearboook; Instituted 1894; Membership of 70; Hon. secretary - C J Temple-Lynes, Blakeney, Norfolk; captain, P A Underhill; green-keeper, Robert Dix; Entrance fee nil, and subs £1/1s, ladies 10s/6d; nine-holes; professional record - W Aveston, 76; amateur record - George Bromley, 81.
In 1906 visitors fees, on introduction, were 1/- a day, 5/- a week, 10/- a month.
The summer meeting was held on August 18th and 19th 1908. There were eight competitors for the Challenge Bowl presented by Mr J T Spurrell, the winner was A H Peart and the runner-up was E B Loynes. For the eighteen-hole handicap competition (handicap to 12) the winner was C G Agnew, 80. The best nine-hole competition, A H Peart, 36½ Best eighteen-hole (handicap over 12) C J Ash, 127. Ladies’ competition (handicap) was won by Mrs Murdock, 69, Mrs Peart, 76. Best gross, Mrs J S Scott, 101.
In 1914 there was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6d. Visitors’ fees, on introduction, had increased to 2/- a day, 7/6d a week, 15/- a month. There were no restrictions for ladies and Sunday play was not allowed.
In 1922 the daily rate for visitors was still 2/-, but other charges had increased to 10/- a week, 15/- a fortnight, and 20/- a month.
Secretary | Professional/Greenkeeper | |
1895/1907 | Robert Dix (p&g) | |
1905/22 | C J Temple-Lyn, Blakeney, Norfolk. | |
1914 | Albert Lee (p) | |
1922 | R W Smith (g) | |
1923/47 | A T R Steadman, Glandford, Cley, Norfolk. | T Cobon (g) |
Course records | |
1906 | G Bramley (am) 81 Willie Aveston (pro) 76 |
1922 | A H Peart (am) and P A Underhill (am) 83 |
Thanks to Barry Gayton for his help in general with the research into defunct Norfolk clubs and courses and for the following input on the Blakeney & Cley Golf Club. “I have recently found the original minute book from Blakeney and Cley Golf Club along with a course map. Entries within the minute book confirm that it was part of the estate of Lord Calthorpe, who was elected as the club’s first President. The last entry is for September 1939, after which the club was ordered to vacate the area which was laid with mines. There was an attempt to revive the club in the early 1950s after the area was cleared and access was granted but the severe effects of the 1953 east coast floods curtailed this effort. A further attempt was made in the 1960s when a local hotel drew up a course layout which attracted keen support locally (see image below.) However, the National Trust which had taken over management of the area refused consent on account of the potential disruption to wildlife. An entry in 1922 mentions the “Blakeney Workmen’s Golf Club,” which no doubt, had artisan status. A positive point though is that the club trophies were presented to Blakeney Sailing Club and are still competed for.”
Thanks also go to Mr. Robert Kett and the Blakeney Area Historical Society for the images below regarding Blakeney Golf Club.
In 1947 visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 12/6 a week, 21/- a fortnight and 30/- a month. Sunday play was allowed after 1pm.