Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Calthorpe Golf Club, Chapel Lane, Great Barr. (1932 - 1960)

Known as Perry Hall Golf Club in the early 1920s.

Calthorpe Golf Club was founded in 1932 (sometimes called Calthorpe Park.)

Calthorpe Park moved from its original location at  Rocky Lane, Perry Barr to Chapel Lane in 1935. Calthorpe continued at this site until 1960.

Great Barr is the current club and was formed in 1961.

The Calthorpe club was listed in the 1933 Golfer's Handbook, the address was Rocky Lane.

The May 1939 monthly bogey competition was won by Mr C A Sothers. W Morris and K E Hubbard tied for second place.

Below a report on prize presentation in March 1940.

 

Calthorpe Golf Club, Great Barr, Birmingham. Prize presentation in March 1940.

From the Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle Saturday 23rd March 1940. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Article from the Evening Despatch Saturday 27th May 1944. "An attempt to perform a golfing feat sufficient to give the most ardent enthusiast a headache, heartache and every other ache to which the human race is susceptible, is to be undertaken on the links of the Calthorpe Park Golf Club at Great Barr on Saturday 10th June. Mr J Woodman has set himself the task of doing eight rounds of the course - each round with a fairway measurement of 5,394 yards (an average of 75 per round) in one day.

Mr Woodman was connected with the Gorway Club at Walsall before the links of that club were devoted to the growing of food. Since then, however, he has lost none of his enthusiasm for the game - or confidence in his physical stamina. The stamina - apart from golfing skill - will be put to the test on the 10th June, for, it is calculated that even if he plays golf which necessitates little deviation from the fairways, he will have to tramp about 40 miles in playing eight rounds of the 18-hole course.

As a munitions worker, Mr Woodman is not unaccustomed to either early rising or long hours, but he will certainly have to "up with the larks" in order to start his round shortly after daybreak. From that moment he will probably tramping the course or swinging his clubs for a continuous period of about 16 hours. Supervision is to be undertaken by members of the club, one of whom will accompany Mr Woodman on each round. Members of the club are taking a lively interest in the event - so lively, indeed, that whether Mr Woodman "makes it" or not, the funds of the Red Cross will benefit substantially." 

From the Golfer's Handbook 1947; Calthorpe Golf Club, Chapel Lane; Membership 300; Secretary - J Gray, Quesslet Road, Great Barr; professional and green-keeper, Jack D Woodman; course records - amateur, J Martin, 72; professional, Jack Woodman, 64; 18-holes, par 72, SSS, 70; Visitors' fees, 2s/6d a day. 

During the 1950s the secretary was L Holt, Quesslet Road; professional record, Charlie Ward, 66; SSS, 71; Visitors' fees were 3s/6d a day, 5s on Sunday. all other information as 1947.

The final entry in the Golfer's Handbook 1961; Calthorpe Golf Club; Founded 1932; membership 300; Secretary, S England; professional, J L Sutton. All other information as earlier Golfer's Handbook.

 

Calthorpe Golf Club, Great Barr, Birmingham. Competition Spoons.

 

Calthorpe Golf Club, Great Barr, Birmingham. Competition Spoons.

Calthorpe Golf Club Competition Spoons. Images courtesy of Graham Rowley.

 

On Saturday 23rd September 1961 an exhibition match followed the official opening of the Great Barr Golf Club. The match was won by C Stowe (Brocton Hall) who went round the course of 5,730 yards (bogey 71) in 68 strokes, the amateur record. Charlie Ward (Little Aston) scored 70, the professional record. J L Sutton (Great Barr) and C Johnson (South Stafordshire) each returned 75. More than 200 watched the contest. 

 

Calthorpe Golf Club, Great Barr, Birmingham. Location of the Calthorpe Golf Course.

The Calthorpe Golf Course is marked in the centre of the above map. © Crown Copyright {1938}