Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Stapenhill Golf Club, Burton-on-Trent, Staffs. (1894 - WW1)

Founded in 1894 Stapenhill was the earlier course of the Burton Golf Club.

A 9-hole course of about 2,000 yards which was laid out south of Woods Lane, Stapenhill on a farm owned by Mr Wilkinson. Burton of course was, and still is, famous for brewing and a couple of the early prominent members in the development of the Burton club were associated with the brewing industry. Dr Alston was a brewery chemist and S H Evershed was a director of a local brewery. Mr H T Nadin a collier owner and E A Brown a bank manager were also pioneers of the club. The station at Burton was 1 ½ miles away, there was a tram service from the station to the course every 10 minutes. Sunday play was not allowed.  Local hotels were the Queens, the Midland and the Station.

In 1897 the Burton club moved across town to Branstone (see separate entry). Some of the Stapenhill golfers decided that the move was not for them and they formed the Stapenhill Golf Club in 1897.

On the 7th August 1896 a professional match was played between L G Ross (Sutton Coldfield) and local professional A Lewis, Ross won by 4 and 3.

In 1899 the President was Mr J Samble and the secretary and treasurer  to 1902 was Mr F E Lott, Bridge Chambers, Burton on Trent. Subs for gentlemen were £1/1/0, for ladies and juniors 10/6 and visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day.

During 1902 Walter Simnett took over as secretary, he also went on to hold the amateur course record with a score of 37.

From the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Stapenhill Golf Club; Instituted 1897; Membership of 50; Hon. secretary - W Simnett, 29 Wood's Lane, Stapenhill; Captain, J Samble; Entrance fee nil and subs £1/1s, ladies 10s/6d; nine-holes; Terms for visitors, 2s/6d a week. A very sporting nine-hole course with fine views of Derbyshire and the valley of Trent from the high holes.

From 1911 to 1914 the secretary was W Simnett, Woods Lane, Stapenhill. The professional was J Cook who also held the full course record of 76. Membership stood at 120. Entry fees for gents were 10/6d; there was no entry fee for ladies. Subs for gents £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6d. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 2/6d a week.

Below is the result of a match played in May 1914 between Stapenhill Golf Club and Branstone Golf Club on the Stapenhill course for the “Robertson Cup”.

Stapenhill Golf Club   Branstone Golf Club  
H Faulkner (half) 0 R F Peach (half) 0
H Tooby 0 H H Cornforth (2&1) 1
W Lambrick (4&3) 1 A Fox 0
G H Wheway (6&5) 1 J A Sadler 0
A Dodsworth (5&4) 1 W Renwick 0
Dr C Thompson (5&4) 1 A E Birch 0
G R Sparrow (3&2) 1 H S Tebbitt 0
Read Samble (2&1) 1 H Mayger 0
J Dunnicliff (8&7) 1 G B Hesp 0
H White (5&4) 1 A E Brown 0
T E Hanson 0 A West (8&7) 1
F Robinson 0 T S Joyce (2&1) 1
J C Bullock (4&2) 1 F W Platts 0
A J Feeny 0 J J Henderson (5&4) 1
  9   4

 

 

Stapenhill Golf Club disappeared at the onset of WW1.