Redditch Golf Club, Pitcher Oak Course. (1913 - 1970s)

Redditch Golf Club was founded in 1913.

The original 9-hole course was designed by W P Lewis, the professional at King’s Norton Golf Club. It was eventually extended to 18-holes.

Report on the new course in January 1913.

 

Redditch Golf Club, Pitcher Oak Course. Report on the new course in January 1913.

Bromsgrove & Droitwich Messenger Saturday 11 January 1913. Digital image © The Bromsgrove Society.

 

Report on a meeting held in September 1913.

 

Redditch Golf Club, Pitcher Oak Course. Report on a meeting held in September 1913.

Bromsgrove & Droitwich Messenger Saturday 20 September 1913. Digital image © The Bromsgrove Society.

 

From the Coventry Evening Telegraph Wednesday 29 October 1913. "J H Taylor v George Duncan - J H Taylor (Mid Surrey,) the Open Champion, was in opposition to George Duncan (Hanger Hill,) the French Open Champion, today, to mark the opening of the new Redditch Golf Course.

The meeting of Taylor and Duncan attracted a good deal of interest, especially as the latter has been displaying such brilliant form recently. He has met the Open Champion several times in recent weeks and in the majority of the matches he has been successful."

 

Redditch Golf Club, Worcestershire. The clubhouse.

The Redditch clubhouse and eighteenth green in the 1920s. Authors Collection.

 

The Ordnance Survey Map below shows the clubhouse and course in the 1920/30s.

 

Redditch Golf Club, Pitcher Oak Course. The clubhouse and course on the 1920/30s O.S. Map.

O.S. Map Revised 1926 © Crown Copyright {year of publication 1930}.

 

From the 1933 Golfer's Handbook; Membership of 300; Hon. secretary - J Alfred Hill, 127 Birchfield Road, Redditch; Professional, H Nash; Green-keeper, H Cleveley; 18-holes; Visitors, 2s a round, 3s a day, weekend 5s, 10s a week, £1 a month.

Following WW2 the secretary was C Hewitt, 55 Bromsgrove Road, Redditch, the professional and green-keeper was H Nash. The 18-hole course had a SSS and par of 74. Membership was a very precise 314. Visitors’ fees were 3/6 a day, 5/- at weekend, 10/- a week and £1 a month.

In the mid 1950s the secretary was W F Bird, “Sandheys” The Slough, Crabbs Cross, Redditch. The professional was L Fereday and the green-keeper E East. The 18 holes now had a SSS of 68 and par of 67. Membership of 310. Visitors’ fees were 5/- a day, 7/6 at weekend, 15/- a week, and 40/- a month.

During the 1960s the secretary was F J Turton, 95 Broomfield Road, Redditch. The professionals were Don Wilson (1964) F Powell (mid 1960s on) and the green-keeper E East. Par 66 and SSS 67. Membership 350.

Just Prior to the clubs move in the early 1970s, the secretary was D G Skinner and the professional F Powell. The course measured 5,091 yards with a SSS of 64. Membership was 450, Viditors’ fees were £1 a day, £3 at weekend.

The former course was situated where the Redditch Municipal Pitcher Oak Park Club is now. It moved to its present site at Callow Hill in 1972 when the building of a new road reduced the course to 9-holes.