Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Cross Gates Golf Club, Leeds. (1912 - 1915)

The club first appeared in 1912.

Often spelt Crossgates.

The course was located off Manston Lane, the exact location still to be found. 

Early advert for the course in 1913.


Cross Gates Golf Club, Leeds. Early advert for the golf club in January 1913.

From the Yorkshire Evening Post Saturday 25th January 1913. Image © D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.


Dr W P Bean was medical officer at Templenewsham during the war. A keen sportsman he was a member of the golf club and also played cricket for Cross Gates. 

The course was acquired for the building of the Barnbow shell-filling factory in 1915.

In October 1916 the workforce numbered 16,000 at the factory and of these 93% were women and girls (affectionately known as the Barnbow Lassies). It was here in December 1916 that one of the worst tragedies in the history of Leeds took place when 35 women and girls were killed by an explosion that ripped through part of the munitions factory.


Cross Gates Golf Club, Leeds. Location of the course 1908 O.S Map.

The above map shows Manston Lane and Barnbow Lane prior to the building of the massive Barnbow shell-filling factory. The Cross Gates course was located somewhere in this area. © Crown Copyright {1908}


The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former factory.