Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Wath Golf Club. (1903 - WW2)

The club was founded in 1903.

The original nine-hole course was laid out to the north of Mill Lane, near Newhill Grange. The club continued at this location until WW2.

Result of the monthly competition for the Mitchell Cup played in November 1903; G K Smith, 49-10-39; C H Stanley, 46-5-41; J P Stanley, 58-17-41; G D Sloan, 61-14-47.

Result of the nine-hole Christmas Sweepstakes competition played at Wath Golf Club in 1903; J F Thomson, 55-20-35; C H Stanley, 47-5-42; R J L Thomson, 61-17-44.

The monthly competition for the Mitchell Cup was played in August 1906, result as follows; R J L Thomson, 92-16-76; A T Thomson, 89-12-77; C S(L)iddell, 92-11-81; J F Thomson, 102-18-84; J Gregory, 110-26-84; W H Gawtress, 107-18-89; J Brass, 110-20-90.

The formal opening of the new pavilion took place on Saturday 3rd October 1908.

Result of the Mitchell Cup played in January 1909; *C H Stanley, 97-6-91; W H Gawtress, 103-12-91; A T Thomson, 100-8-92; J F Thomson, 107-12-95;# F Singleton, 12-25-95; D M Nicholson, 123-24-99. *Winner of the first class club button. #Winner of the second class club button.

Result of the Mitchell Cup monthly competition played in May 1911; G Gregory, 86-14-72; C L(S)iddell, 88-9-79; D Chambers, 97-17-80; A T Thomson, 88-7-81; G H Ashwin, 102-21-81; A G Baylis, 104-21-83; J W Robson, 113-27-86; D M Nicholson, 112-23-89. 

Below is the report on the annual meeting held in March 1924.

 

Wath Golf Club, Rotheram. Report on the annual meeting in March 1924.

From the Shefffield Daily Telegraph Wednesday 12th March 1924. Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Competition results from June 1927; Thompson Cup - A G Brown (21), 4up; J M Hattersley (26), all square; J B Thompson (9), 1down; Nicholson Rose Bowl - Miss G M Baker, 100-26-74; Mrs Bayliss, 98-20-78; Miss S Nash, 113-34-79.

In February 1932 Wath decided to allow Sunday play. 

In 1933 the joint secretaries were a P L Maude and H Leadbeater. The club had a membership of 130. The professional was V Roffe. Nine-hole course. The records were (18) holes; amateur, J Bell, 77; professional,  J Peacock, 72. Visitors on introduction, 2s a day, 5s a week, 15s a month.

In 1937 the secretary was Mrs Gertrude Thomas, headmistress of the Park Road Infants' School, Wath-on-Dearne.

in the 1940s the joint secretaries were; H Leeson "Hendrie" Racecourse Road Swinton, and C J Smith, "Glenesk" Chapel Street, Wath.

Following WW2 the Wath Golf Club moved to its current course at Abdy Lane, Rawmarsh. 

 

Wath Golf Club, Yorkshire. Location of the earlier course in 1930.

The former Wath clubhouse is marked in the centre of the above map. Reproduced from the {1930} Ordnance Survey Map.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former clubhouse, the course was to the south west.