Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


St Bees Golf Club, Cumbria. (1894 - 1920s)

Below is a report on the first course on Tomlin in 1894.

 

St Bees Golf Club, Tomlin Course, Cumbria. Report on the first course on Tomlin.

Maryport Advertiser Saturday 3rd March 1894. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The above course was "out of the way" and another one was laid out between St Bees and Coulderton in October 1895, report below.

 

St Bees Golf Club, Tomlin Course, Cumbria. Report on the second course in 1895.

Maryport Advertiser Saturday 26th October 1895. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The third 9-hole course was opened in March 1906.

Located on the Nethertown Road, about a mile from the village, the coastal course had views over St Bees Head to the IOM. A 9-hole course measuring 2810 yards, with holes varying in length from 210 yards to 520 yards.

A report on the annual meeting which was held on Wednesday 20th March 1907. A highly satisfactory balance sheet was produced, there were now 150 members. A substantial clubhouse had been erected at great cost, and the course was in good order, the grass being regularly cut by a horse drawn mower. There were only nine-holes at present with ample space available the course was shortly to be extended to 18-holes. The length of the nine-holes is 2,810 yards, the longest hole being 520 yards. The links are on the sea coast, eight miles north of Seascale, and command a magnificent view of Scotland, Scaw Fell and the Isle of Man. The green-fees for visitors were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 12/6 a month. 

The second competition for the captain's prize in June 1907.

 

St Bees Golf Club, Tomlin Course, Cumbria. Report on the second captain's prize in June 1907..

West Cumberland Times Saturday 29th June 1907. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

In August 1907 a two day bazaar was opened in the Grammar School by Mrs H P Senhouse, Cockermouth, in aid of St Bees Golf Club. The object of the bazaar was to clear off the debt on the clubhouse and to provide funds on improving the golf course. The total amount raised was £297.

The final of the bogey competition, which had been running since the summer, was won in October 1907 by W W Stont, which entitled him to the gold medal presented by Mr W Whittle.

Report in July 1910 - Opening of a new station at St Bees - The new station which the Furness Railway Company have erected for the use of members of the St Bees Golf Club was opened by the Rev. R H Snape, vicar of St Bees, on Saturday 23rd July 1910. The links are situated a considerable distance from the village station, and the distance to the links was found to be very inconvenient. The new station is about five minutes walk from the links. Rev. Snape, who was introduced by the captain of the club, Mr J Johnston, stated that he had performed various functions, but he had never had the pleasure of opening a new railway station. He hoped it would add further to the membership of the club. On the proposition of Mr Johnston, seconded by Mr W Sly, a vote of thanks was passed to Mr Snape for his services.

From 1911 to 1914 the secretary was R W Broomfield. There was no entry fee, subs were £1. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 12/6 a month. Sunday play was not permitted.

The new course opened in 1929. Although it was constructed by St Bees School local residents were admitted as members. The current course is at Peckmill Lane, St Bees. It is not known when the original course ceased to be used.