Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. (1911 - 1939)

The club was founded in 1911. 

In 1914 the secretary at  Kirkby Stephen Golf Club then Westmoreland, was Robert Waistell Braithwaite, 21 South Road.

A 9-hole course of fine quality situated between the Midland and NER stations. A pleasant course with natural  hazards. There was a membership of 70. The entrance fee was 5/-. Subs for gents were 10/6 and ladies 7/6. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 3/6 a week. There were no restrictions for Ladies. Sunday play was not allowed. Stations at (Midland and NER), 15 minutes away.

Result of the October 1913 monthly competition; S Ridley (26), 79; J Alsop (28), 80; R W Braithwaite (26), 84. Mrs Crozier won the ladies prize. 

The course is marked on the 1920 O.S. map below.

 

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. The golf course marked on the 1920 O.S. map.

Ordnance Survey Map © Crown Copyright {1920}

 

In the late 1920s the secretary was R Braithwaite, telephone 4. The green-keeper  was W Binks. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day and 7/6 a week. Sunday play still not allowed. Local hotels were the King's Arms and Groglin Castle.

The information the Golfer's Handbook 1933 as above.

Result of a mixed foursome competition played in August 1936, prizes given by Mr and Mrs H C Milner; Miss H Littlefair and R H Hunter, 65 net; Mrs R H Hunter and S Ridley, 68 net; Miss Forbes and A B Peacock, 71 net.

Annual meeting held in March 1937.

 

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. The annual meeting held in March 1937.

From the Penrith Observer Tuesday 2nd March 1937.

 

Below is the result of a home match against Appleby Golf Club in June 1937.

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club   Appleby Golf Club  
D F Moore 1 G Pearson 0
F H Marshall 1 W J Woof 0
A B Peacock 1 J T Parkin 0
H W Myles 0 G Thompson 1
C R Whitell (halved) 0 E Cunliffe (halved) 0
E C Stephenson 0 W L Foxton 1
W Herbert (halved) 0 W Gregson (halved) 0
G H Johnstone 0 T Elliott 1
  3   3

The annual flag competition with a prize given by R W Braithwaite was played in June 1938 and won by H W Myles.

Below, the sad end of the Kirkby Stephen Golf Club.

 

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. The sad closure of the club in March 1939.

From the Penrith Observer Tuesday 14th March 1939.

 

The club's final appearance was in 1939 when the secretaries were F H Marshall and A B Peacock, telephone 24 and the green-keeper J Binks. 9-holes with a membership of 60. Visitors’ fees were unchanged and Sunday play was now permitted.

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the Kirkby Stephen course.

Grid reference NY75790,07345, co-ordinates 375790,507345.

Thanks to Keith Richardson for the following -

“I was born and brought up in Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, now (sadly) Cumbria. I lived there until 1952. There was a golf links there which must have closed at the beginning of  WWII or even earlier. The course was a large one built on fell land. Quite a few of the greens were dug out in the roughish terrain. There was a very small clubhouse covered in corrugated sheets. Post war it was lived in as a bungalow occupied by a railway worker, a Mr Allinson. It still stands today but is somewhat derelict. The site borders the A685 one mile south of Kirkby Stephen and sweeps around to abut the Settle to Carlisle railway line north of Kirkby Stephen railway station”

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. The derelict golf course in 2004.

Overlooking the former Kirkby Stephen golf course in 2004. The derelict clubhouse is near the centre of the picture. Author's collection.

 

Kirkby Stephen Golf Club, Cumbria. The former golf clubhouse.

A close up of the old Kirkby Stephen clubhouse. Author's collection.